Sweet new iPhone app! Listen!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by firstapple, Jan 7, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

2. David G. macrumors 6502a

3. Schnebar macrumors 6502

Yeah my verizon phone has had that for a while.

It is a good feature and if apple formally released it with wifi itunes store then you could buy it with one click.

Imaging hearing a song somewhere and being able to buy it without even knowing its title or artist.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

It works WAY better than I expected, found every song it listened.

5. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I clicked the link and it brought me to TUAW, but it is blank? What happened and what was the app?

EDIT:
    I checked out installer and found an App called Listen.... and it works darn good.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is AMAZING!

I'm freaked out, my friends freak out about how quickly it does it. Incredibly useful app.

Findings:
    -I remember this technology being integrated into Motorola phones a couple years ago, but it fell flat apparently.
    -If the song isn't recognized within 10secs (on wifi) then it will likely not be found.
    -Does not work as well with instrumental pieces as it does with lyrics. It seems like there has to be singing for it to work best.

7. tayshodd2 macrumors newbie

It looks like its using Sony-Ericcson's TrackID service... which is licensed from Gracenote MusicID.

From the comments on the TUAW page:
    "Did a quick look at the app. The magic is done by impersonating a Sony EricssonK810i phone ("SonyEricssonK810i/R6BC Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UNTRUSTED/1.0"), and using sony's service: http://wap.sonyericsson.com/recognize/query (which uses Gracenote MusicID technology)"

can't imagine sony will be happy with this....

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

there are a few sites which do this too, one is midomi.com

what's funny about midomi at least (haven't tried listen) is that if you sing the song yourself it's pretty decent at telling you what it is :)

9. mathewr macrumors 6502

so to clarify if ur phone isnt hacked u cant use this app right?

10. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

How else would you install the app if your phone is jail-broken?

11. mathewr macrumors 6502

when i went to the site the page was blank and i was hoping it was a web app but i guess its not and now i wish i had a jailbroken phone

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There's a phone service in the UK called Shazam which does this.

My parents blocked it from my phone because I was using it so much though :rolleyes:

13. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Man, this works amazingly well. It hit it right on every time.

14. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Beta 2 works perfectly with 1.1.1. Seeing all the apps Erica updates regularly, there is no way that this app will die...

15. brando88 macrumors 6502

16. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

For some reason, the story isn't showing up, just a big blank area where it would be. What's it about?

17. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

hmm strange...

I downloaded it and it just gets to "finished recording contacting info server" then the app crashes. :(

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I used it and think it can make a great app. Needs fine tuning. Crashed once on me, after that it would find about 98% of the songs I threw at it including some instrumental only soundtracks from movies. It needs an easy way to restart the recording instead of closing the app and starting it again. Song history and such, I am sure it will all be there since this is just a beta. I had bought a device years ago that you could click during a song and it would note the time and then you plug it into the pc and it would lookup on the stations playlist for that time and let you know the band name. This is much better.

- James

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this feature worked better than I had hoped, I have some techno cds that i have never been able to tell who the original artist was, until today when I tried this app.

now I really need a good reason to get 1.1.3 when it's released because the app community has been releasing more impressive features than apple itself

20. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Same here...just says "Finished Recording...Contacting Server" and just stays there...:mad:

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So Jailbreak your phone.

22. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

anyone having problems with the latest release. every song i try says it can't find. these were the same one i tried yesterday and they're not obscure songs either.

***edit***
    erica's site says the server is down.

23. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

This works really well no other languages I think except english. Probably just cause those songs arent in the system

24. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

I'm running 1.0.2, are you as well? Might not be fully compatable with 1.0.2.

25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I'll just chime in with my two cents...

Works fine on my 1.1.1. Frickin' amazing.

I knew the technology existed, but was never on the right cell phone carrier. Previous incarnations essentially had you dial a phone number, and a computer on the 'answering' side did all the work. This does it in pure data, no telephone.