Sweet "sleeper" MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by onehotchili, Aug 3, 2008.

1. onehotchili macrumors newbie

i've been lurking on this forum for awhile and the other week took the plunge on a Black MacBook. this weekend i swapped out the RAM for 4GB (i have the 2 1GB sticks for sale if anyone is interested)... and i swapped the 250GB HD for a 64GB Samsung SSD. holy smokes is that HD sweet!!!!

i put the 250GB in an external case and have my data files on it, while running basically my OS and installed apps on the local SSD. it is super fast, quiet and cool, and runs circles around my IBM T61 Thinkpad.

i am in the midst of installing Parallels -> Windows Vista Ultimate, w/ MS SQL Server, and Visual Studio (work stuff... so I can develop on the MacBook if my work laptop goes down etc.)

so far, i am digging the Mac OS and the look and feel of the laptop. i never cared about actually wiping down my Thinkpad like i do w/ the MacBook... hehe.

anyhoo, many thanks to all out there with good info to share about swapping HDs and RAM.... made it very easy for this MacBook newbie :)

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

If you don't mind me asking how much and where did you get the 64GB SSD hard-drive? :)

3. onehotchili thread starter macrumors newbie

i got mine off of Ebay... less than $600 shipped for one that was "brand new". it actually looked like it was removed from some other laptop and never used. btw this for the latest SATA-II version of the Samsung SSD... which is on newegg.com for $790 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147054).

definitely NOT cheap, but worth it for some of the things i am doing with this laptop. ;)

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That does sound pretty sweet but I work in window and mac I move around to much. I swapped my 160gig drive for a 320gig drive. I hate having to use one of my usb ports for a external drive. I like it to be all in one. But congrats on the super speedy laptop. I dont think that i could drop 600 buck on a 64gig ssd drive.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

6. onehotchili thread starter macrumors newbie

that's a pretty good deal for both those drives. i had read some where that the OCZ drives were rebranded Samsungs.... i might have to jump on the larger one for my work laptop. either way, super fast upgrade to any laptop...

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah the prices are dropping pretty quickly. I didn't expect the 128gbs to be this cheap yet. We'll probably see a 256gb by the end of the year for $500-600.

LOL just for ***** n giggles, I tried searching for 256gb ssd drives and found this one for $8,000 C! LMAO! Best of all it's a 3.5" drive.
    Brand New Super Talent 3.5" 256GB Dura Drive AT SSD