Swell contacts trick.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Sorry if this is common knowledge...

If someone emails you a phone number or an email address, you can tap the links to dial the number or compose an email, but you can't simply add them to your address book. Kinda weak. Even my little Nokia could do that.

But if you forward that email to yourself via SMS (to yournumber@cingularme.com), the resulting text message has an arrow next to it. Tap the arrow and you have the option to add the address or number to a new or existing contact.

Swell.

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

That's good to know, I just ran in to that--I don't really text message much, so I don't think I would have run in to that for a long time.

Thanks

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

nice tip - thanks for posting it! i had noticed this limitation as well, and this is a useful work-around...

6. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

That is a great trick. Thanks for posting it.

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Very cool. That has to be a recent thing. We also can get MMS's now (well at least from people not on AT&T).

8. Kchino macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! It seems that it would involve less steps to just click the link to the number, immediately end the call if you have no intention of talking to them right away and then just add the number as a new contact from the phone app.

9. Sprockets macrumors newbie

That's what I've been doing for phone numbers, but there wasn't a good workaround for email addresses that I could tell. It seems this "swell" trick does the job! It would be nice just to have that option in the default, but oh well!