Swift for the rest of us.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lowercaseperson, Nov 18, 2014.

1. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I keep up with technology and am considered an "IT guy" by most of my friends because I have a NAS, can set up wifi, sync computers/phones with Dropbox, and make iMessage and hand off work. No, all my friends are not in their 70's. ;)

That being said I'm not a programmer, and never will be. I am really curious what the end user outcome of Swift is/will be in the future? Realistically, will I as a consumer see any benefit in the next 6 mo. - 2 years from Swift. Or is it simply going to make things easier/faster for all those programmers out there?

Thanks,

Nolan

P.S. I apologize if this is being addressed on another forum I just couldn't find it.

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Probably not. The long term result should be faster, better apps, and hopefully more iOS developers who might previously been put off by objective-C (especially people not used to Mac development.) it would be hard to attribute any particular improvement to the language alone though.

3. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I suspect that unless it's pointed out, you wouldn't even know the difference. It doesn't add new capabilities to the phone. It's just a different method to create apps.

Only programmers will care.