Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joaogfmoreira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
// Realised this is probably not the right seccion for this problem. Couldn´t move it to "Programming" tho //

Hello all!

I know this is a topic which has been discussed quite a lot lately. Still I haven't come up with an answer.

I recently started learning Objective-C (through C first). I'm not new to programming, since i have learned VB and PHP at school. But i found that Apple recently released Swift and i wanted to know if Obj-C is still worth learning.
I have been reading Objective-C Programming by The Big Nerd Ranch.

Thanks guys!

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
// Realised this is probably not the right seccion for this problem. Couldn´t move it to "Programming" tho //

Hello all!

I know this is a topic which has been discussed quite a lot lately. Still I haven't come up with an answer.

I recently started learning Objective-C (through C first). I'm not new to programming, since i have learned VB and PHP at school. But i found that Apple recently released Swift and i wanted to know if Obj-C is still worth learning.
I have been reading Objective-C Programming by The Big Nerd Ranch.

Thanks guys!
Over 70 % of the users switched to iOS 8. Objective-C is handy if you want to work for a firm. Most code is still in objective-C. New code however will be moving to swift very fast. As swift and objective-C differ a lot, I'd go swift. I myself just moved to swift myself. What course will you be taking?

joaogfmoreira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Over 70 % of the users switched to iOS 8. Objective-C is handy if you want to work for a firm. Most code is still in objective-C. New code however will be moving to swift very fast. As swift and objective-C differ a lot, I'd go swift. I myself just moved to swift myself. What course will you be taking?

Thank you for the reply!
I'm very keen on abandoning my Obj-C learning and moving on to Swift then. It seems it will be taking over soon enough and I don't have that much spare time to spend learning Obj-C and then again Swift. What would you recommend as the best way to learn it? Any book or something?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Thank you for the reply!
I'm very keen on abandoning my Obj-C learning and moving on to Swift then. It seems it will be taking over soon enough and I don't have that much spare time to spend learning Obj-C and then again Swift. What would you recommend as the best way to learn it? Any book or something?

I am following the course of bitfountain. Eliot Arntz is a superb teacher. I first followed the free courses on itunes of Stanford. They are too complicated for starters. I've waisted a long time on them. The bit fountain courses often are couponed on stack social. If they aren't you can always just pay the full price. It's about 149 dollars. Their course on iOS7 is free now. I do not regret buying their courses. I do regret waisting months on the Stanford course. It was literally demotivating because it really assumes you already are a good programmer. On bitfountain you can ask questions and they tend to respond within 24 hours... Their website is bitfountain.io.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ditch Objective-C, start clean with Swift.
Stanford is now teaching Swift instead of Objective-C; they surely may have a reason, don't you think?

Also, working for a company doing programming is just as bad as being another ant in an Ant Farm.

Learn Swift and develop your own software, or partner with another programmer.

The switch to Swift is happening at a much faster rate than expected, and that's because the learning curve is minimal for someone who already knows Objective-C.

Now, if you have time to spare, then go ahead and learn Objective-C as a second language. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.