Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
Hello everyone,
I am a technology enthusiast ever since and in the last few times I realized that I like programming but not having much time at the disposal, I have never deepened.
From a couple of days I started using swift Playground for iPad and I was amazed (especially for English, I'm Italian) of how quickly I learned the first three lessons that include: simple commands, functions, loops, if statement.
My question is, Swift playground is a good tool to learn to program and then create my application or should I learn with other more thorough methods? Thanks

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
What you are learning now are foundations you can build on later. Building interfaces and tying them together with the fundamentals you are learning now, is really where it starts to come together and make sense.

Ultimately you are going to need Xcode, its free, and a Mac --- Its not free, but learning where you can, none of it is a waste of time.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
@JohnLuke I too am enjoying the Playgrounds teaching method, however I'm not able to practice code yet just learning the concepts since I'm using iTunes U on the iPhone for Swift Playgrounds.

But some sites have been recommended along with Mac and Xcode so I'll be heavily learning soon enough. I wish you much luck.

Reactions: Johnluke91

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
What you are learning now are foundations you can build on later. Building interfaces and tying them together with the fundamentals you are learning now, is really where it starts to come together and make sense.

Ultimately you are going to need Xcode, its free, and a Mac --- Its not free, but learning where you can, none of it is a waste of time.
Currently I do not have any Mac, in fact I should buy it but at the moment the most affordable for me would be the basic version of the Mac Mini. Can you be programmed on the latter?

@JohnLuke I too am enjoying the Playgrounds teaching method, however I'm not able to practice code yet just learning the concepts since I'm using iTunes U on the iPhone for Swift Playgrounds.

But some sites have been recommended along with Mac and Xcode so I'll be heavily learning soon enough. I wish you much luck.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.