Swift Playground for iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Johnluke91, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Johnluke91 macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    I am a technology enthusiast ever since and in the last few times I realized that I like programming but not having much time at the disposal, I have never deepened.
    From a couple of days I started using swift Playground for iPad and I was amazed (especially for English, I'm Italian) of how quickly I learned the first three lessons that include: simple commands, functions, loops, if statement.
    My question is, Swift playground is a good tool to learn to program and then create my application or should I learn with other more thorough methods? Thanks

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

What you are learning now are foundations you can build on later. Building interfaces and tying them together with the fundamentals you are learning now, is really where it starts to come together and make sense.

Ultimately you are going to need Xcode, its free, and a Mac --- Its not free, but learning where you can, none of it is a waste of time.

3. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

@JohnLuke I too am enjoying the Playgrounds teaching method, however I'm not able to practice code yet just learning the concepts since I'm using iTunes U on the iPhone for Swift Playgrounds.

But some sites have been recommended along with Mac and Xcode so I'll be heavily learning soon enough. I wish you much luck.

4. Johnluke91 thread starter macrumors member

Currently I do not have any Mac, in fact I should buy it but at the moment the most affordable for me would be the basic version of the Mac Mini. Can you be programmed on the latter?

Thank you.

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Yes. You can program on the Mac Mini, many do. That allows you to supply your own browser, keyboard and mouse and you are up and running.