Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A proprietary single platform new programming language?

What about all those developers who write for other platforms - they're not about to embrace this which will make providing apps for those platforms impossible.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Swift will be a really nifty feature for developers that choose to use it, and will make a big impact. But I don't expect Objective-C to go away anytime soon.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Swift will be a really nifty feature for developers that choose to use it, and will make a big impact. But I don't expect Objective-C to go away anytime soon.

Swift will likely be much more optimized than Obj-C on the same hardware. Apple changed to LLVM for a reason. It pays off in the long run.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I think it will change the iOS/OSX programming world, but outside of that the impact will be very limited

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia

What about all those developers who write for other platforms - they're not about to embrace this which will make providing apps for those platforms impossible.

Who cares?

It works alongside Obj-C and C.
It's easy as piss to code.
It looks amazing.
Education will pick this right up.
Developers will be able to rapidly develop using more extensive features.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
It's pretty funny since...

I was going to learn Objective-C until this came along. Swift is so crazy!

Now...I'm still going to learn Obj-C first. Then transition over sometime in the future. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who cares?

It works alongside Obj-C and C.
It's easy as piss to code.
It looks amazing.
Education will pick this right up.
Developers will be able to rapidly develop using more extensive features.

But if the developers who produce an app for both iOS and android cannot use the code for their android flavor they're less likely to use it. That's if I'm understanding things correctly.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)

it's not like Objective C was exactly the beacon of platform independence ;)
99.9% of all current Objective-C developers work on apple platform...

also let's be honest: in terms of code-readability Objective-C isn't really that great. For people coming from Java, C# or more modern stuff like Ruby it really feels clunky and hasn't aged well

after looking a little bit into Scala last week and through the first few pages of the Swift programming language book i would say, Swift will be to Objective C what Scala hopes to be to Java

i tried to dive into objective C multiple times and honestly it never warmed up to me. Swift instantly made it onto my "languages-to-learn" together with Scala and Ruby

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
But if the developers who produce an app for both iOS and android cannot use the code for their android flavor they're less likely to use it. That's if I'm understanding things correctly.

They can't use the same code today. Requiring objective c has not hurt iOS's popularity with developers.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
While a little strange, it's not as though Objective-C is difficult to learn. Developers will still need to learn how to structure an application, utilise design patterns and learn the APIs, which IMO are much more difficult to grasp than the language syntax.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
it's not like Objective C was exactly the beacon of platform independence ;)
99.9% of all current Objective-C developers work on apple platform...

also let's be honest: in terms of code-readability Objective-C isn't really that great. For people coming from Java, C# or more modern stuff like Ruby it really feels clunky and hasn't aged well

after looking a little bit into Scala last week and through the first few pages of the Swift programming language book i would say, Swift will be to Objective C what Scala hopes to be to Java

i tried to dive into objective C multiple times and honestly it never warmed up to me. Swift instantly made it onto my "languages-to-learn" together with Scala and Ruby

I've been trying to learn a programming language for awhile now, but never knew exactly where to start. Are you saying you are going to learn Swift without learning Objective-C? Everyone always tells me I should start with C then move to Objective C and so on. What do you think?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I've been wondering what if Apple completely rewrites iOS 9 using Swift?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

That would explain the deafening applause from developers in the audience when they announced it.

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
I'll tinker around with it for new app projects. Any and all game code will still be entirely written in c++11. I also have no intent to rewrite my huge objc codebases for my existing apps.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I am very excited about Swift! I gave the Swift guide on ibooks a cursory examination and the syntax at least looks a lot simpler than Objective C 2.0 is. Although I still intend to finish up learning the basics of Objective C before I turn to Swift.

My main question, though, can someone develop most apps completely in Swift or is it just an addition to the required objective c? Also, let's say you use a lot of Swift in your app. Will it run on an iOS 7 device once you compile and publish it to the App Store?

I've been trying to learn a programming language for awhile now, but never knew exactly where to start. Are you saying you are going to learn Swift without learning Objective-C? Everyone always tells me I should start with C then move to Objective C and so on. What do you think?
I've been plowing in to Objective C for a month or so now as I desire to be able to develop apps by the end of the summer, at least relatively simple ones. I have purchased two online courses (not sure if I can post the names or not) and the funniest thing is that the best tutorials I've found for Objective C have been from a user called "mybringback" on YouTube completely for free. So my advice for you would be to just download Xcode 5 and start with his videos, as I've tried a lot of them and for me personally I learn the best from him. I wouldn't bother learning C first, at least not if you intend to develop for iOS, since it's just not necessary and could be a bit too much if you aren't a computer science major in college and can't do it full time.

Last edited:

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I am very excited about Swift! I gave the Swift guide on ibooks a cursory examination and the syntax at least looks a lot simpler than Objective C 2.0 is. Although I still intend to finish up learning the basics of Objective C before I turn to Swift.

My main question, though, can someone develop most apps completely in Swift or is it just an addition to the required objective c? Also, let's say you use a lot of Swift in your app. Will it run on an iOS 7 device once you compile and publish it to the App Store?

I've been plowing in to Objective C for a month or so now as I desire to be able to develop apps by the end of the summer, at least relatively simple ones. I have purchased two online courses (not sure if I can post the names or not) and the funniest thing is that the best tutorials I've found for Objective C have been from a user called "mybringback" on YouTube completely for free. So my advice for you would be to just download Xcode 5 and start with his videos, as I've tried a lot of them and for me personally I learn the best from him. I wouldn't bother learning C first, at least not if you intend to develop for iOS, since it's just not necessary and could be a bit too much if you aren't a computer science major in college and can't do it full time.

It's a whole new language and thus doesn't require ObjC. That is why Apple made Swift in the first place. Apple wanted to basically retain the power in ObjC, but have it in a super easy language. It also uses the existing LLVM compiler to compile. So I'm assuming that any targets that run apps compiled with LLVM will run Swift apps just fine. However, wait for the "official information" from Apple, though I'm 99% sure ;)

As someone who knows .NET, I find ObjC an alien language. Swift is a mix of Python and .NET so it will be relativity easy for me to pick up; this is the primary reason why I'm excited for it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Native Objective-C can't be ported over anyways. Sure you could share a C++ library if you wanted to, but you can do the same with Swift.

All it really means is that iOS development will have an even lower barrier to entry than before. Not that Objective-C with ARC is super difficult, it just looks daunting to newcomers. Swift is a lot more approachable.

qweenapps

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2014
Well Swift looks like a bit of JavaScript mixed with VB :D at the first glance. Personally I don't like the way you define procedures and function return type in Swift I am more objective-c java style guy... But well things are changing I cannot really tell if it's better just after a few weeks using it.

But good initiative to have a new programming language. But for sure a lot of Objective-C code is there I don't expect to go away overnight.

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010

I would love to know the names of the online courses you purchased, if that's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.