Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Is it possible to get started with Swift without having a dev account? I would like to start learning Swift this summer because I have some free time, but I can't afford a dev account just yet. I applied for the public Yosemite beta, but I understand it doesn't come with Xcode 6. Is there any other way? Thanks!

AppleNiels

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Holland
For Swift you need Xcode 6, you can pay a dev. Account for it, or you can search on the internet for copy's (illegal).

AppleNiels

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Holland
Ok, thanks! I guess I'll have to wait until 10.10 comes out.

If you don't want to download Xcode 6 from torrents or something else on the web, than it's the best to wait until Xcode 6 comes out (around when 10.10 comes out, in the fall)

You can start reading the documentation of Swift.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is it possible to get started with Swift without having a dev account? I would like to start learning Swift this summer because I have some free time, but I can't afford a dev account just yet. I applied for the public Yosemite beta, but I understand it doesn't come with Xcode 6. Is there any other way? Thanks!

Regrettably, no. It seems like a rather asinine decision by Apple to charge for access to the new language. I understand not giving access to the new SDKs, but why charge for early access to a language if you'd like developers to adopt it ASAP?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
For some reason, I thought there was two levels of dev accounts, paid and unpaid and that the paid was the one that gave access to run apps on the device.

I haven't paid in a few years because I can run what I want without the test device. I haven't tried to upgrade in a while, but I'm pretty sure my last upgrade was under a free dev account (I could be wrong, it's been a while).

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
You can start reading the documentation of Swift.

Oh, I have! That's why I'm so eager to start coding :D

I don't want to torrent it, but I'll do my best and try to scrape together 99 bucks for that dev account, because I don't think I can wait until October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.