Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I was looking to learn coding and swift and i saw this offer. Does anybody know anything about this company? Like if their other courses were good or if this is a scam or something? And if this isn't the best course to take does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good course for this? Thank you so very much for your help!
https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-c...ampaign=ios8_083014pm3#product_6179_read_more

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I purchased the iOS 7 course a few months ago and I cannot say enough good things about it. Every single time I've ever had a question the teacher (Eliot Arntz) answers rapidly on the discussion boards. The content is great. I started with zero knowledge and now I have gotten to the point where I am learning the intricacies of a Core Data. Awesome stuff, very rewarding.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I purchased the iOS 7 course a few months ago and I cannot say enough good things about it. Every single time I've ever had a question the teacher (Eliot Arntz) answers rapidly on the discussion boards. The content is great. I started with zero knowledge and now I have gotten to the point where I am learning the intricacies of a Core Data. Awesome stuff, very rewarding.
Alright, thank you! Do you know if the deal($90 it said) is a good deal for it?

Poxer

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014

Did you get the course through StackSocial? Or straight from Bitfountain? If you look on Bitfountain's webpage course listing, the iOS7 course is listed at $499 and another $499 for the pre-release of iOS8 course. On StackSocial the two together are $79.00. Seems almost too good to be true.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Alright, thank you! Do you know if the deal($90 it said) is a good deal for it?
Yeah that's a pretty good deal. In my opinion it's worth way way more than that. His iOS 7 course was invaluable to me, I will definitely buy the iOS 8 course once I have finished with iOS 7 (I am about 80% finished).

----------

Did you get the course through StackSocial? Or straight from Bitfountain? If you look on Bitfountain's webpage course listing, the iOS7 course is listed at $499 and another $499 for the pre-release of iOS8 course. On StackSocial the two together are $79.00. Seems almost too good to be true.
Yeah, it's true. I don't think anyone has ever actually paid $499 for the course.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah that's a pretty good deal. In my opinion it's worth way way more than that. His iOS 7 course was invaluable to me, I will definitely buy the iOS 8 course once I have finished with iOS 7 (I am about 80% finished).

----------

Yeah, it's true. I don't think anyone has ever actually paid $499 for the course.

Just wondering, is it a times course or would I be able to go at my own pace?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Just wondering, is it a times course or would I be able to go at my own pace?
Yeah it's totally laid back, you can go at your own pace, it's not something that really could (or even should) be graded.

I personally have taken hundreds of pages of notes, I keep my massive Pages notes document open whenever doing the course. I take screenshots sometimes but mostly just copy and paste code from Xcode into my notes. Note that it loses formatting so you will want to paste from Xcode to TextEdit, then in to pages.

Usually, I spend 3x to 4x more time taking detailed notes than watching the videos because I've found that it's the only way I can easily remember all of it. So if he has a 10 minute video I spend around 30 minutes pausing every few seconds to take notes.

It's worked really well for me, I am soooo happy with how much I've learned doing things this way. Way better than the Stanford course on iTunes U.

I also recommend using other resources. For example, I found his course on Core Data to be pretty weak, so I went to Lynda.com and used their course on Core Data and it worked amazingly well, I'm now a core data ninja. Core Data really should be it's own course though so I don't blame him on not spending an enormous amount of time on it.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Yeah it's totally laid back, you can go at your own pace, it's not something that really could (or even should) be graded.

I personally have taken hundreds of pages of notes, I keep my massive Pages notes document open whenever doing the course. I take screenshots sometimes but mostly just copy and paste code from Xcode into my notes. Note that it loses formatting so you will want to paste from Xcode to TextEdit, then in to pages.

Usually, I spend 3x to 4x more time taking detailed notes than watching the videos because I've found that it's the only way I can easily remember all of it. So if he has a 10 minute video I spend around 30 minutes pausing every few seconds to take notes.

It's worked really well for me, I am soooo happy with how much I've learned doing things this way. Way better than the Stanford course on iTunes U.

I also recommend using other resources. For example, I found his course on Core Data to be pretty weak, so I went to Lynda.com and used their course on Core Data and it worked amazingly well, I'm now a core data ninja. Core Data really should be it's own course though so I don't blame him on not spending an enormous amount of time on it.

which Core Data course did you take on Lynda?

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I bought that exact course from StackSocial, and it is really great. The Swift course will be available as soon as ios 8 is released. So if you buy the course on stacksocial now, you get the ios 7 course now and the swift course as soon as ios 8 is released.

Poxer

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Since AxoNeuron mentioned it was so good, I went ahead and purchased it. I'm planning on learning Swift, but still have a long way to go and wanted to learn Objective-C first.

I decided to start learning programming and Obj-C a few months ago starting in May. I've purchased a few books, and have tried the Stanford/iTunes U course, along with various YouTube and tutorial sites like CodeWithChris and others. After all this time, I find I'm looking at code and just not understanding what's going on. Dot notation, method calls, that darn self keyword... sometimes it's in method calls, and others times it's in dot notation. I've been struggling with all of it. Until today.

I'm only 10% into the course and I finally understand a bunch of things now! I've been trying to think of why this course is better than others I've tried, and I think this course really takes you through in baby steps. Regardless how other courses or tutorials say you don't need a programming background, I think they assume too much on the part of the reader/watcher. This course really goes slow, and seems to explain things in a way that makes it easier to understand. Of course it could be a combination of the other courses/books and then watching this course that makes it all work... I don't know. I just know that with this course, I keep finding myself going "Ohhhhh, NOW I get it!"

I can't wait to try the Swift course once I get this Obj-C course out of the way.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Since AxoNeuron mentioned it was so good, I went ahead and purchased it. I'm planning on learning Swift, but still have a long way to go and wanted to learn Objective-C first.

I decided to start learning programming and Obj-C a few months ago starting in May. I've purchased a few books, and have tried the Stanford/iTunes U course, along with various YouTube and tutorial sites like CodeWithChris and others. After all this time, I find I'm looking at code and just not understanding what's going on. Dot notation, method calls, that darn self keyword... sometimes it's in method calls, and others times it's in dot notation. I've been struggling with all of it. Until today.

I'm only 10% into the course and I finally understand a bunch of things now! I've been trying to think of why this course is better than others I've tried, and I think this course really takes you through in baby steps. Regardless how other courses or tutorials say you don't need a programming background, I think they assume too much on the part of the reader/watcher. This course really goes slow, and seems to explain things in a way that makes it easier to understand. Of course it could be a combination of the other courses/books and then watching this course that makes it all work... I don't know. I just know that with this course, I keep finding myself going "Ohhhhh, NOW I get it!"

I can't wait to try the Swift course once I get this Obj-C course out of the way.
Yes it's a great course. Don't be afraid to get distracted and do your own side projects along the way. For example, I started in May and I'm still only 70% finished because I am taking it very closely and supplementing everything with other courses from Lynda and side projects of my own, I think I've learned a lot faster doing it this way (as strange as that sounds). Lynda costs $25 per month. You don't have to do Lynda if you don't want to, there's probably a huge amount of stuff out there for free. But when I was trying to learn Core Data via the iOS 7 course, they barely spent 10 minutes on it, which is understandable since it really deserves it's own course.

If you do use Lynda, I'd recommend watching ALL of Simon Allardice's courses. He is THE best programming teacher I've ever seen. The only reason I still recommend the iOS 7 and iOS 8 Bitfountain/Stacksocial course is because they cover EVERYTHING which is good for a beginner.

Here is one of my side projects, I spent a week or so making it. I just made a full featured app that models the gravitational attraction between the planets. It's really cool because, for example, the moon in my simulation will only orbit the earth if you give it the actual velocity and distance that it has in real life (or use the equation to calculate needed velocity for a given distance).

e75c712ab8a56a910701eb7b17f040d6.jpg

2fadf668b06898bf2d9db8742690ad47.jpg

3bd7718aa0b8161276d63ba3121cb826.jpg

d2166599a96b4a33261f1cf9834c2f86.jpg

The coolest thing is that it orbits in a perfectly accurate ellipse, at 60fps, the exact same orbit as the actual moon, since it uses the same equations that describe gravity. It goes in to the circular orbit without me having ever told it to explicitly go in a circle, it just does it all by itself. It sounds easy, just using a few equations. But it was the first time I ever did anything like this, so for me it was a learning experience, figuring out how to deal with huge numbers (ie. can't use a regular old int to describe the mass of the earth lol) and how to optimize it so that it isn't using 100% CPU, which was hard at first. I also had a few bugs originally, the worst bug was that it would only orbit the earth if the earth were in a specific position. It turns out that I had mistyped a CGPoint so that the moon was orbiting the earth's (y, y) position and not it's real (x, y) position.

I know it won't impress anyone but I am really happy with it. I didn't start learning until May. I am a full time student and part time job so I can't pour all my time in to it. I have not learned any animation frameworks, So I just did animation using NSTimer and dynamically changing the position of the view objects. I'm looking forward to learning probably more efficient ways of doing it, but animation wasn't the most important thing to learn for me yet.

Last edited:

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm also looking into purchasing the same bundle on stacksocial. Can anyone else confirm that this will really work providing I have extremely limited coding experience?

Also, from those who are more experienced, do you think it would be beneficial to learn iOS7 coding before iOS8? Or just wait and jump into swift? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

One more thing - I see this course requires an intel Mac but it doesn't say anything about an iOS device. Do most of you use your personal devices for testing or do you have a designated testing device? Anything else I may need? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I'm also looking into purchasing the same bundle on stacksocial. Can anyone else confirm that this will really work providing I have extremely limited coding experience?

Also, from those who are more experienced, do you think it would be beneficial to learn iOS7 coding before iOS8? Or just wait and jump into swift? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

One more thing - I see this course requires an intel Mac but it doesn't say anything about an iOS device. Do most of you use your personal devices for testing or do you have a designated testing device? Anything else I may need? Thank you in advance for your replies.

On the parts of the video that I have gone through so far, they're just using the ios simulator in xcode. I'm just jumping right into swift, I don't know obj-c.

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
I've bought this strictly to learn swift. I come from a JavaScript background and know some objective-c.

I am about half way through and I am enjoying the course. The presenter is really good, however some of the recordings can be a little dodgy (low sound, some have background sounds, like someone is washing up pots or something).

Other than that, I am learning at a fast pace and looking forward to building my own apps in swift.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I bought their iOS 7 course and I would recommend doing their iOS 7 course first. It makes Swift much easier and it is still extremely beneficial to know objective c and will still be for years to come. It is a lot easier to come from Objective C to swift than the other way around.

Then again, maybe it would be beneficial to start with Swift. I haven't really played around with it. But I can't imagine learning Swift first, there are so many more resources out there for Objective C whenever you have a question. If I were one of you, I would still buy the iOS 8 course since it comes with the iOS 7 course, then I would do the 7 course first.

Last edited:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast

Yes, yes, and yes. You don't have to buy the developer license to test on actual devices, you can use the simulator just fine. You might buy the course first, use it for a few weeks, and then once you are sure you want to get serious about development, buy a developer account with Apple. But it is very beneficial in my opinion. It is extraordinarily satisfying to put a lot of effort in to thinking up an app and to see it work just as you had imagined it would. It's also good for monitoring resources, the simulator in some ways is not good at monitoring what real-world CPU performance will look like if you app involves a lot of computation.

My first app I ever made was a very simple tip calculator, all it did was let you type in the total bill and print out varying percentages on the screen. But as my first app I was so proud of it, I showed it to everyone I know lol. Just a few months later my apps are a lot more complicated and even funner to make.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Well just bought it and bit fountain will not accept the code. Great...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.