Swiftkey keyboard doesn't always work on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Nosrettap, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Nosrettap macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 with the SwiftKey keyboard setup (In the settings I've added it and also removed the default English one); however, sometimes the SwiftKey keyboard doesn't appear when I use textboxes. On most occasions I'll tap on a text field and no keyboard will appear, but a few times I've actually had the default iOS keyboard show up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, do 3rd party keyboards work with password fields or are those always handled by the native one?

2. abhibeckert macrumors regular

abhibeckert

I haven't. Sounds like a bug in iOS or SwiftKey to me.

Also, do 3rd party keyboards work with password fields or are those always handled by the native one?[/QUOTE]
    No, they don't work with passwords. This is necessary to make it impossible for an app to steal your password.

Since anybody with a hundred bucks can make a keyboard and deploy it to millions of people, giving them access to password fields would be a terrible idea. This is a large part of why third party keyboards have never been allowed on iOS until now.

3. j0e0 macrumors newbie

same problem

Mine isn't working either. When i add the 3rd party app it won't let me pull up the text box to text. anyone know of a fix??

4. Nosrettap thread starter macrumors member

I've been reading around and so far I haven't seen any fix. Others have been having issues with the Swype keyboard also so either it's an OS issue or maybe it's just really difficult to implement 3rd party keyboards.

Out of curiousity, what phone do you have?

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Working fine for me.

6. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

iPhone 5S here, same issues as the OP. Sometimes I get the default iOS keyboard and sometimes the SwiftKey one...Just seems quite buggy

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The apple keyboard will appear for certain things like entering password. You can make a keyboard default by dragging it to the top of the list in keyboard settings.

8. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yeah I understand that, just that earlier I opened my messages and the Apple keyboard appeared even though I fully removed the default Apple keyboard last night...I had to add and remove it again in order for SwiftKey to take over

9. cipo macrumors member

Same issue here, iPhone 5S. Swype and SwiftKey are equally affected, which makes me think it is an iOS thing. Whether or not Swype / SwiftKey work (if not, iOS obviously falls back to the built-in keyboard) seems to depend on the app I use:

So far, *all* 3rd party apps work, but no Apple apps (with the notable exceptions of Mail and Safari). Tried rebooting, re-installing the keyboards, resetting all settings ... nothing has helped so far.