SwiftKey/Swype on the iPhone 6 Plus - is it usable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustler1337, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Hi guys,

Just wanted to find out from 6 Plus owners, is the custom keyboard such as SwfitKey, Swype etc. usable on the 6 Plus?

I would have thought it would be unusable and kinda redundant on this device seeing as the majority of people are having difficulty reaching the end of the screen on the 6+.

The custom keyboard generally aims to speed up one-handed typing, so it defeats the purpose if you can't reach the other end of your screen with your fingers. :|

Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks! ;)

2. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

With SwiftKey I haven't had any issues not to mention it has the auto correct feature like that of a normal iOS keyboard so even if your are close to your intended words SwiftKey is pretty good at anticipating your next word. Even holding the Plus with one hand isn't that much of a hindrance while using it only because the keyboard only takes up so much of the lower part of the screen. Just my opinion, hope this helps.

3. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've tried SwiftKey, Swype and Fleksy on my 6+.
    Admittedly I can easily reach across the screen but I've had no problem with any of them but my personal preference so far is Swype, I find it fast and easy to use one handed and even faster two handed. I'm actually typing this on my 6+ with Swype one handed as I walk down the street just now.

4. WilliamG macrumors G3

The privacy issues are outrageous, so I wouldn't use any of those keyboards. They can literally record everything you type.

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

This is true to an extent, while a custom keyboard can indeed log almost anything you type on it there are provisos on iOS although I can't speak for other platforms.

Naturally the amount of information collected and the various security measures used will vary from developer to developer so if it is something that concerns you, their privacy policies relating to this are, as far as I've seen, clear and easy to understand. But there is one important rule that applies to all custom keyboards.

They cannot be used for secure text entry, Apple denies this on a system level and will automatically replace a custom keyboard with the default Apple keyboard when ever you touch on a secure text input. So for example, passwords on banking websites.

In addition to this developers also have the option to completely deny the use of third-party keyboards within their apps, so you will likely find that soon any apps that require the safety and security of a users information will simply enforce this rule.

As for me, well other than passwords and other secure information that Apple already enforces the default keyboard on, I've nothing to hide or say that I don't mind being anonymously collected and if I ever think otherwise it's easy to switch to the default keyboard at the touch of a button.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

SwiftKey is fine on my 6+, it's just annoying when I switch between optimized and non optimized apps because the keyboard blows up on non optimized apps.

7. mcmul macrumors 6502

I will keep an eye on this thread. I installed SwiftKey onto my iPhone 5S and it works great the majority of the time but there are tonnes of bugs i.e. suggestions stop but I can still type, no keyboard on Spotlight search occasionally, the keyboard screen appears blank until I swap to Emoji and back again. This will obviously get better but it feels more Beta than Release.

8. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Yeah a lot of bugs, i hope the clear everything with a update; i gave fleksy a try but I've yet to get used it (it works without bugs so far) i don't know i loved the swipe typing on android with swiftkey so just hoping the update the app soon.

9. mcmul macrumors 6502

It is important to note that trust is an issue with all technology providers. But on specifically SwiftKey and their request for "Full Access", I urge you to read: http://swiftkey.com/en/blog/swiftkey-require-full-access/.
    In summary, you are technically allowing SwiftKey to read and process everything you type but this is local to your iPhone. The "Full Access" switch only allows the keyboard utility, so to speak, to communicate with the SwiftKey container for customisation and their "logic". SwiftKey will only network to its servers when you explicitly enable their extra features. They are very clear on this. Personally, I use SwiftKey with caution but I am hoping Apple will appreciate users' concerns and provide more granular options i.e. "ALLOW utility and container interaction", "DISALLOW network access".

----------

I agree with this. They're a very successful company and iOS massively expands their reach. I imagine the next update will kill most bugs.

Interestingly, I was very happy with the built-in Apple suggestions but the SwiftKey prediction engine is just so much better. Honestly, I am amazed at how good it is at predicting your next word. It literally completed a full sentence for me earlier.

10. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I don't have any problems with the stock keyboard. I don't use those swiping gestures to text; could never get the hang of it.

11. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I love Swiftkey but I've noticed a minor problem during texting.

If you unlock your phone to read a new text, it'll open up the text app but you then have to scroll down to read the most recent texts. Shouldn't the most recent texts show up first? Not sure why you always have to scroll down...

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's just a bug at the moment, Swiftkey isn't the only keyboard affected by this, a fix should be in the works, developers seem to know about it.

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

14. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I always use 2 hands when typing. Much faster