SwiftKey vs Fleksy

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by OfficiallyPB, Oct 1, 2014.

1. OfficiallyPB macrumors newbie

Hey Guys.

I have loved the new addition of 3rd party keyboards, so i have installed two. Swiftkey, loving the swipe type function and it seems awesome...however fleksy keeps coming up on the internet a lot more, and also seems pretty good especially the swipe delete feature.

What 3rd party keyboard are you using and do you get on with it? I am just wondering what everyone else installed.

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I use both Swype and Swiftkey but I think Swype > Swiftkey (IMO ONLY).

4. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I have SwiftKey installed, but I am waiting for an update to fix the landscape issue before I can really use it. I am also waiting for them to add the thumb layout (that is split in the middle) as well as long tap a key to type a symbol or digit. These features on the Android version have not been incorporated into the iOS version.

5. OfficiallyPB thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you find fleksy? I just can't get use it for now, did it take you a while to get use to it? I do like the colour schemes too.

I have heard that a lot. That the ios version is more or less the bare minimal of features. Is the android version much much better?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Swype has the "long hold for a symbol/digit", but neither Swype and the native iOS keyboard work in the split screen mode, can you elaborate more on this "thumb feature"?

7. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

My impression of the iOS version of SwiftKey was that the developer wanted to get the keyboard out on day one of iOS 8. It only has the essential features which is their text prediction and auto correction capability. This SwiftKey's feature that I feel sets them apart from other keyboards that I have tried.

The other nice feature that was included is the ability to sync multiple devices. Their cloud feature transfers my dictionary and typing style over to other devices including iOS devices. From what I have tried so far (which is very little), this transfer seemed to have worked. The text prediction is pretty good.

The Android version has a number of features that I really want to see in iOS. They are multiple keyboard layouts and long tapping for symbols and digits.

The thumb layout I was referring to is a layout where the keyboard is split in the middle. It is like how in the iPad stock keyboard, you can set it so that it is split in the middle. I normally type in landscape orientation. On my Galaxy S3, I find it hard to stretch my thumb to the centre of the screen to type the G and H keys. The thumb layout splits the keyboard so I don't have to reach so far to type these keys.

There are actually 3 layouts to choose from. The full layout is the normal one that is the only one available in iOS. The thumb layout is what I just described that is split in the middle. The compact layout is one that is designed for typing one-handed on a large phone. It is like the full layout, but smaller and shifted over to one side. That way, when you type one handed, your thumb can reach all keys on the keyboard. The compact layout is designed for large phones.

There is also an Undock feature that splits the keyboard and makes it float. It is similar to the iPad split keyboard, but you can move both halves of the keyboard around the screen. It is designed for tablets.

SwiftKey on Android also allows you to change the height of the keyboard. A shorter keyboard allows you to see more of the screen. A taller keyboard makes it easier to type as the keys are bigger.

The other feature I really miss is the ability to long tap a key to type a symbol or a digit. All of the keys on the keyboard show an alternate symbol or digit. For instance, when you see the Q key, you also see a 1 that is a little lighter. If you just tap Q, you get a Q. If you tap and hold for a little bit, you will see a 1 appear. Release and you will type a 1. The iOS keyboard only has this feature for the period. If you tap and hold the period, you will then see a number of other punctuation marks. You slide your finger over to the punctuation mark you want to type and release to type it.

I have grown accustomed to Android keyboards that have this feature. SwiftKey, Swype and Kii on Android has this feature. I find that I am just really used to typing punctuation marks and digits this way. Typing these characters on the iOS keyboard is just really slow for me.

SwiftKey on iOS is also really buggy. I type in landscape often and the landscape keyboard with SwiftKey on my iPhone 5S has too many issues to be worth using. I'm sure it will take time to fix these bugs and add the features I like. For now, I'm just using the stock iOS keyboard.

8. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

It's nice. I got it when it first launched (before iOS 8). It's pretty good at guessing what I want to type. It did take just a little time to get used to. I haven't tried it on an iPhone yet, but it is probably really great.

9. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Apple doesn't allow the split screen feature (yet) for 3rd party keyboards unfortunately therefore you won't find it in any app for iPhone/iPad other then the Apple keyboard on the iPad. See also the megathread topic of 3rd party keyboards.

Some bugs in 3rd party keyboards are related to bug in iOS8.01/02. I've read that some fixes are done in the 8.1 developer release.

10. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

fleksy has got some issues..sometimes it's not appearing in whatsapp and i need to close whatsapp from the task and start again.

that happeden in ios 8.1 beta

11. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

I think it's an iOS issue actually. Get the same with SwiftKey

12. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I do think that it's up to WhatsApp to full support 3rd party keyboards within their app. The last update was on the 23rd of September but their description doesn't say exactly ('bugfixes') what they updated. I'm not sure, but i believe this is the reason. Has the same problem occured with other 3rd party keyboards in WhatsApp?

13. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

i have swiftkey and fleksy but swiftkey does not support Turkish Language right now so i can't use it,but i think it's same..Whatsapp team needs to focus on iOS 8 compatibility and release an update asap

14. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Yes the language support of the large swype apps such as Swiftkey, Swype and Touchpal (6 languages maximum) is still pretty bad as far as iOS keyboard apps concerned in comparison to the Android apps.

You could try Path Input (iPhone 1,99 dollar / iPad 3,99 dollar) or Adaptxt keyboard (free) which both support the Turkish language and have a swipe feature. Adaptxt does however need full access to use it (according to their website) but Path Input doesn't need it (although it does ask for it you can reject it and still use it).

See also the complete list of 3rd party keyboards here.

15. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

TouchPal for me - excellent keyboard and can be used without granting it full access.

16. OfficiallyPB thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep reverting back to Fleksy because of the nice blue tinted keyboard colour and its also alot cleaner than SwiftKey. However i just cant seem to get on with it, the punctuation and other things i feel are out of my reach.

So i have reverted back to swiftkey which i think ill stay with, and hopefully they will release updates to bring it up to scratch with the Android version.

17. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

i'll try these thanks :)

18. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Oohhh.....I like this keyboard. I downloaded it after reading your post. Very nice. I like the colors and the way it can bring up numbers by holding the key! That's fantastic.

19. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

I used swiftkey and Swype. But i prefer swiftkey since I can use 2 languages at the same time without changing keyboard.

If Swype could do this then I would switch back .

Also something annoying swype had was how it didn't have the globe key without having to hold down a key until it showed up.

20. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Thanks, for the info. On my iPad Mini, I actually like the stock iOS keyboard more so than on my iPhone 5S. A big reason is the larger keys and the split screen layout.

On my Android phone, the thumb layout of SwiftKey isn't exactly split down the middle. The keyboard takes the entire bottom half of the screen. In between the G and H keys are a veritical row of arrow keys. This makes the G and H keys (and other keys normally in the centre of the QWERTY layout) closer to the left and right sides of the screen. My thumb doesn't have to reach as far to press these.

Other Android keyboards I used that has such a layout also take the entire screen. On Kii, the middle is a number pad. On SwiftKey, the middle is blank. On Thumb keyboard (not to be confused with SwiftKey's thumb layout) has arrow keys as well.

I hope so. I was hoping 8.02 would fix some of the issues, but it didn't. I couldn't believe that landscape typing on SwiftKey is so unusable. Are there landscape issues with other third party keyboards?

21. Routsi macrumors newbie

Do you know if path input supports Norwegian predetectiv text ?

22. pacorob, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

The Norwegian (Norsk) language is also supported according to their description in the App Store. So this also means that it has predictive text in that language. You will stil get the request to give full access however you can reject this and still use the app and the predictive text should still work.

The Adaptxt app has also support for the Norwegian language but that app needs full access.

I'm also looking forward Android keyboard 'AI.Type' which has a swype feature and permanent number keys and is soon available also on iOS8 and does support many languages (on Android) so I expect it will have it also in the iOS app. The reviews in the Google Play store seem to be all very positive.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I use swiftkey for the times I need to type with one hand. I tried Fleksy, and I just don't get how it works.