Swim Proof

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mattopotamus, Sep 7, 2016.

?

Do you swim with your AW1?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How many have been swimming with their AW1? I have been swimming with my SS since launch and never had an issue.

2. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Only by accident when I fell off my JetSki. But it was fine.

3. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I've gone to the lake almost every weekend and have yet to take it off =/

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

About 50 times at the local YMCA without an issue but now with AW2 you are covered unless you swim below 50meters or roughly 150 feet I think.

5. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Yea and I think this is a HUGE improvement. and the pricing isn't that bad. I assume the 369 is the 38 mm?

6. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

even with the current apple watch you are covered b.c they gave it an IPX7 rating.

"1 meter for up to 30 minutes"

I think most people who experienced water damage had the sport variant.

7. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Yeah, pricing is up on their website now, looks like $369 for 38mm and $399 for 42mm.

Series 1 is $269 for 38mm and $299 for 42mm.

8. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

i didn't tak my aw1 off my wrist the whole summer and i went a lot swimming and to the beach. never had any problems ;)

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

For those swimming in your watch, does your audio stop working until it's dried off?

I wore my Apple watch once in salt water, and the sound stopped working for hours. Now every time I rinse it off after a work out the sound also stops working until it dries off.

10. jamdex macrumors member

An entire summer on one charge? ;)

11. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I gently blow on the speaker to clear the water, which is essentially what the new version does by vibrating the speaker.

12. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

oh you got me there..i'm a wizard and do charge my aw with spellcasting :D

13. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I showered with it, swam in the pool with it, swam in the ocean with it. Absolutely no problem. I am not Michael Phelps, though so there is not a lot of pressure being exerted on the Watch. ;)

14. frifra, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

The video on macrumors about the 5 aw key features mentions that you can dive 50m deep with the apple watch series2. But that is WRONG.
    I already see Watergate coming.

"Water Resistant 50 Meters" does mean:
    "Suitable for swimming, white water rafting, non-snorkeling water related work, and fishing. Not suitable for diving."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

15. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I swam with mine constantly the first summer it was out. the pool goes to 51/2 feet in hour community pool. I would play with my son and when he got to the confidence level to stay underwater longer than a second or two we would go down to the 51/2ft let all our air out and sit on the bottom Indian style being silly together including me doing handstands meaning that the watch was all the way at the 51/2 ft depth. Well this eventually popped it. It has a black dot in the corner of the screen that looked like a short and the black eventually spread across the screen until it was unreadable. Apple replaced it for free when i told them I was in the pool with my young son and it just popped. No questions asked about depth of the pool or anything. Since the replacement came I haven't worn it in the pool except once I jumped in and immediately remembered to take it off and another time in a creek while we were out hiking. Nothing happened either time.

EDIT: can't wait for my AW2 Black SS with link! No more worrying about water unless I'm in a sinking submarine!

16. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I preordered the series 2 SS (going from SG Aluminum) primarily for swimming.

My only concern was that I was worried that the SS would be too heavy for swimming laps? But you say you've swam quite a bit with yours. Is it comfortable? Any noticeable wrist fatigue or water drag?

I currently use the MOOV activity tracker to chart my swims (laps, stroke type, pace, yardage, calories,etc...). So I'm use to a light wrist device.

Almost went with SG Aluminum again, but the SS looks much classier I couldn't resist!

17. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The SS is definitely noticeably heavier than the aluminum models. I swim casually, and doing laps I honestly think you would feel the weight.

18. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

you guys are silly the watch weighs next to nothing in the water
    you guys are silly, just switch the watch to the other hand half way through your workout and get consider it pool weight training
    you guys are silly real swimmers only use aluminum for less drag

I could go on with corny jokes all day hehe! Aren't we all excited for our new toys!? one of my favorite parts is the camaraderie going around the week of waiting on new products on this forum. Happy waiting and good choice on the SS!

19. broadbean macrumors 6502a

I used to, till I killed it. Had mine since launch, then had it replaced under warranty last November.

I often felt the Watch wouldn't make any sound for hours after a swim, and having seen the recent keynote it makes sense. I did "bang" the speaker side against a towel to get the water out and it made some difference, but I still felt the tapping wasn't as strong.

Anyway, I had been quite comfortable wearing it in the pool for about an hour each Sunday while the kids were taking lessons. The last time I did and the screen started to go nuts afterwards I was in the warm pool for an extended period and I think that killed it. I also remember banging the Watch hard against the wall not long before that, so not sure if that weakened any seals.

The symptoms were the Watch would still go on charge with that "ding" tone - some times, maybe the Apple logo appeared, and then the screen was fizzing out with dark portions and vertical streaks like you'd see in those iPhone water tests on YouTube.

It finally looked like it would no longer power up which was when I took it to Apple. As it was a new product and they couldn't fix it, they just replaced it. I think had I presented it when the screen was still glitching, it would seem more like a water damage issue.

So no more swimming with my original replacement anymore, but I still shower with it.

GPS and "swim-proof" is why I am interested in Series 2.