Swimming Iphone Disgrace!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slamattinaforum, Aug 12, 2009.

1. slamattinaforum macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

A terrible thing happened to my iphone. I was on vacation, while on vacation I went for a swim without realizing that the iphone was still on me. So the phone got soaked. Afterward, I tried turning it on and it didn't work. Surprisingly after a few days, the phone turns on! But the reception on it is terrible. Has this happened to anyone? Do you know if the phone reception will improve? Is my iphone doomed?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Try a restore. But for the crappy reception you are really lucky that your phone even survived. :)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You shouldn't have turned it on. Too late now. You can get an out of warranty replacement for $199.

And in the future, put it in a bag of rice or dessicant and leave for a few days. Then try turning it on. Don't blow compressed air on it. You can towel it dry, but then put it in the bag.

Edit: Hey jmann, don't you have T-Mobile? How's the latest news affecting you?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. slamattinaforum thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't try a restore, I figured that It needed more time to dry out. I will try a restore however. Thank you for the suggestion.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How bad is the reception? And when did this happen again, if you didn't say?

7. slamattinaforum thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say that there is about a 50% degradation in reception. The sound out of the earpiece isn't the same and sometimes the phone has trouble dialing (especially is areas with low signals such as basements). Its been about one week since my iphone drowned.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. There's no reason to let it dry any further, so go ahead and try the restore. Good luck!

9. samcraig macrumors P6

You might try getting a new sim. Perhaps the sim contacts on or the entire sim is the issue/damaged...

10. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

If your phone is on when it goes into the water, how are you supposed to turn it off quickly? To power it down, you're supposed to hold down the power button until the red slider appears, and then slide it. I would think the act of making the red slider appear on the screen would short out the phone.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Who said anything about turning it off quickly? The thing is you can't leave it on and you have to turn it off ASAP. And moving the slider is software, so no shorting out of anything.

12. ed724 macrumors regular

It's not going to dry out by itself. There's a slim chance it will be ok if it's disassembled and dried out. Use a fart in a can duster and nail it everywhere. Of course if any moisture got in the layers of the LCD then you'll have to replace the screen.

Good luck.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, it dries out by what a wrote in an earlier post in this thread. You're giving terrible advice, FYI.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

15. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

water doesn't damage software. restore = useless.

dry it, get a new SIM. hope

16. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I don't know that you call it, but you normally get a pack of those crystals when you buy a new camera. It ensures mould does not grow on the lense.

I would find some of those and put the phone into a box a few packs of those in order to absorb the moisture out.

Yes, I would try out a different SIM, in case your SIM itself is stuff by the water.

You no longer have anything to lose by trying out these measures although you should'nt have switched it on so quickly.

I hope it works out well. I can feel your pain.