Swimming Tommoz! HELP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Feb 28, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Don't get me wrong...I have been in a pool and ocean before however never really bothered to learn how to swim. I just kinda paddled around looking for the best place to have a splash fight with friends. At my school now we are swimming! Im really worried about embarrassing my self and what is going to come...does anybody want to share their experiences in Year 9/8th Grade swimming (i have never done it at school before)

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

If your school was anything like mine then don't worry about it.

Seriously, no one cares unless you're pants fall down or something. Most people care too much about them selves to think of others or are having too good of a time having fun with their friends to judge others.

You might be separate between Advanced (swim team), Medium (can swim and float), and beginner (don't know how to swim period). Being in advanced isn't much at my school, it was hella boring. In medium is where the fun is at and in beginner... Eh, there might be some jerks but usually you won't be alone and you'll end up learning something and/or moving up to medium.

Good luck and have fun dude.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have been teaching myself how to swim since Sept 2007, and after all these months, all I can say is, "Swimming is hard." :eek:

I've done fairly well for myself. Two days ago, I swam 13 laps freestyle (50 m laps, not 25 m), which is pretty decent for me. I have no idea about technique, but I guess I'm improving.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I remember when I did swimming in school most of the "cool" kids couldn't swim for toffee so had to splash about the shallow end, don't worry about it.

Mostly they just taught us stuff that's useful to know if ever you fall out of a boat or something, I can't remember any of it though....

5. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I lifeguarded for years and did some swim instruction at the dive clinic. Just remember, paddle those arms overhand style and keep those legs kicking! People forget to use their legs! It will come quickly as long as you keep those two in mind.

6. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Swimming is definitely one of those things that you have to pick up over time through practicing - it falls into the same category as learning to ride a bike, in that you really can't express how to do it on the internet :)

However looking back at when I first started swimming, I can honestly say that the most important thing was to learn not to panic about it. If you lie completely still on your back with your legs straight you won't actually sink - in fact it's pretty hard to sink unless you start to panic and flap your arms everywhere.

When it comes to swimming (and actually moving somewhere!) don't ever underestimate the power of using your legs - as you get better at swimming you'll start to realise that it's quite possible to swim a length without moving your arms at all - though of course using both your arms and legs makes it easier. But your legs are your real powerhouse.

7. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thanks for all the help!

I had it today and though most of my m8ts where better then me there where some kids who swam at the same speed as me. Also my m8ts could do the exact same strokes as me. Only one of my friends (who moved from zambia...?) could not swim at all...Im not a good swimmer...but im really not as worried now.

But still it is getting harder next time...