Swimming with Sport Loop?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by iBug2, Sep 17, 2017.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I would imagine they'd take a while to dry out, just like the current fabric ones.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Which watch do you wear for swimming now?

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The Sport Loop is also Velcro. I wouldn't swim with it.

5. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Hmm, ok then. I'm using the silicone bands for swim and jogging, but I thought these could be more comfortable. Tough luck.

6. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat. Will wear the Sport Loop most of the time and Sport Band for swimming.

7. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I can't imagine it would hold up very well for swimming or running for that matter. I would expect it woul be more likely to harbor sweat and cause irritation on your wrist unless it was thoroughly washed frequently.

That's why I have the Nike band for both of my watches. They are great for any sort of activity .. rinse, dry and you are good to go.

8. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

I’ve swam with the regular nylon band and it was fine, but I think since there’s Velcro in this one it wouldn’t be the best idea.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Wait... what?

What's wrong with Velcro and swimming?

(utterly baffled by the advice I'm seeing)

10. nicho macrumors 68020

i think it works less well when it is wet - https://www.quora.com/If-I-soak-velcro-in-water-will-it-ruin-the-velcro (2nd answer)

additionally, the entire function of velcro depends upon holding well perpendicular to its application... in this case, you use it to close the loop and it shouldn't slip along the band and loosen up (where the similar milanese loop might, because of the potential for the magnets to slip). however, water is ****y compared to air, and the forces on the loop will have the potential to open it.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When in doubt, I wouldn't do it. The best bands for all around all activity in the water, are likely the flueroastamer bands.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The Velcro strap I used on my Garmin never budged, no matter how soaked it got.

I agree that the best strap for getting wet is the flouroastomer (sp?) band (with steel bracelets in second place, despite Apple's nonsensical recommendation against getting the Link bracelet wet), but this notion of Velcro being bad in water is the opposite of my own experience.

13. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

This band is a SPORT band and that includes swimming. Haven't worn it in the pool yet but would not hesitate. Been wearing one for two days and love it. More breathable than original sport band. Comments about Velcro and swimming totally baffling.

14. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Velcro is used in wetsuits, scuba gear, and in garden ties, so I guess it’s OK used in or under water.

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I had a swim earlier. 20 lengths in a 25 meter pool. Sport loop came a bit loose. I think another 10 lengths and it would have came off my wrist.

Really amazing to be able to swim with your phone on your wrist though.

16. hdinla macrumors newbie

how is it drying after the swim? you think it will hold up well with repeated use?

17. Willy2015 macrumors newbie

Apple apparently thinks they are okay for water sports. The packaging says “during water sports, attach the folded side of the band to the top of the Watch for a more secure fit” not sure I follow that instruction but, it seems they are okay for water use.

18. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Normally the band would be worn with the end with the Velcro pads that folds back on itself through the connector at six’o’clock. I assume Apple are suggesting that the band is worn with that end at twelve’o’clock.