Swingerofbirch's MacBook Review

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swingerofbirch, Oct 30, 2008.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I hesitate to write this post, as I am not sure it is of interest for anyone to hear my review of my new MacBook. Lots of people have reviewed theirs before me, and they have given you early info, so what could I possibly add?

Very little, possibly--actually--likely nothing.

Having said that, I want to write a review, and, therefore, I will.

I have a 2.4 GHZ MacBook upgraded to 4 GB of RAM. You may have noticed I said have instead of bought. No, I did not steal this MacBook. I did, however, receive it from Apple as a replacement for a BlackBook.

Let's start with the basics. The first thing I noticed is that this computer is aluminum. I like that. It feels less cheap than plastic. It looks elemental, and it is elemental. I was curious as to whether the black keys would be metal as well. As far as I can tell, they are plastic. My particular model has a backlit keyboard. I was quite excited to try this. However, I usually use my laptop while lying in bed. So, from my vantage point I was seeing a lot of leaked light from under the keys that was sort of distracting. I also don't need the keyboard illuminated. If I didn't know where keys were on the keyboard without looking, I'd certainly never get around to writing frivolous reviews such as this one. Are there really many people who still struggle with typing?

It's a nice feature, and I'd like to be able to think of a situation where it would be useful so I could show it off, but I have not thought of one as of yet.

Next up is the screen. I don't mind the glass. Glass is pretty. I like it. I know some people on here said it's bad compared to other screens, but I have the gift of not having seen better screens. To me it gets quite bright.

Next up is the trackpad. Very, very clever device. I don't even realize it's glass. You could have told me it was aluminum. Sometimes it doesn't seem to recognize when I click which has been a minor annoyance. Also I wish there were a way that I could tap down with my thumb and then tap with another finger to click and hold. I think that would be a better implementation than the click to drag thing. And also why does click to drag work with windows and not icons? Or am I doing something wrong?

Speed is good. Graphics are really good (tried a racing game called Flat Out).

The construction is marvelous as everyone seems to think. I did notice some battery issues (taking a long time to charge).

Seems very utilitarian. I feel like I've got an Air with an ass (and an optical drive). ;)

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Haha awesome review! ;)

So tell me will you return it if you see a scratch? lol