Swipe Tabs Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by super tomtendo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Can you use some gesture to swipe from tab to tab?

2. aresinferno macrumors regular

You can do almost any gesture you want with BetterTouchTool or some of the other alternative applications that allow you to customise gestures. Natively however no you can't.

3. mikkelhorsbol macrumors newbie

Yes

I was trying to do this very thing and hoped that Lion would have a way to do this. There is no built-in way to do it, but only the old way of using Cmd+Shift+arrowleft/right.

However, you can install the web app BetterTouchTool (do a Google search - it's not in the Mac App Store) and assign a gesture instead of the before mentioned keyboard shortcut. For example TipTapLeft for previous tab og TipTapRight for next tab. TipTap is BetterTouchTools name for holding one finger on the trackpad while tapping either to the left or to the right of that first finger. This works really well. But it still has the annoying habit of not switching tabs if you are in a text field... Really annoying!

Hope that helps...

4. animatedude macrumors 65816

it's very dump...why would i want to swipe between windows i think mist ppl would want to swipe tabs now windows!

i was gonna open a thread for this but then i googled and found this thread.

5. alexreich, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. animatedude macrumors 65816

is there a way to open all bookmarks in windows instead of tabs then i can swipe between them?

there's only open in tabs option which makes this swipe crap even more useless!

7. iMisao macrumors newbie

swipe between windows rather than tab

i just upgraded to osx Lion this morning and i really love opening safari in full screen and swipe to go to other apps like Mail and iTunes by just swiping

then came to me the need to swipe between tabs
    searched google and found this thread

the answer to this is very simple actually, since Lion already allow you to swipe between apps you can prefer not to use tabs instead just open a link in new window and swipe between windows

this may be not answering the question how to swipe between tabs but since Lion behave this way you can now just swipe between safari pages if you open them separately as new window (Cmd+click or Cmd+shift+click)

8. animatedude macrumors 65816

i get your point man but most of us have bookmarks we check on a daily basis and Safari doesn't have an open all book marks in new windows option, it just has open in tabs....which make this feature very useless for surfing.

i'm sure they will fix this in the future i'm just surprised this is a problem now..

9. yummieecupcake macrumors newbie

i am curious :confused: if there's a way to swipe between tabs too. i would like to know if anyone discovers it!

in the mean time, i just do what i used to do on Windows PC, which is alt+tab (ctrl+tab for mac users).

10. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

In Firefox you can actually have a twist Gesture to rotate thru tabs. Preety neat.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090630172400412

11. carlospuk macrumors newbie

Yes, you can do this in Safari using BetterTouchTool.

Just add some app-specific gestures for Safari, and add:

Rotate Left: shortcut key Shift-Command-Left Arrow
    Rotate Right: shortcut key Shift-Command-Right Arrow

You can now use a 'twist' gesture in Safari to cycle between tabs.

12. fabianfabian, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

fabianfabian macrumors newbie

Yes, it is possible

Sorry for digging up this old thread but Google led me here when trying to find a way to swipe tabs. Since other people will probably end up finding this thread like me, and could be misinformed by the above posts I want to post the solution:

1) First pinch to see all tabs
    2) Swipe with 2 fingers to switch tabs

Apple has a video showing how to do this, its under Show Safari tabs:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/gestures.html