Swipe to archive Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kahnyl, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I have Gmail set up through Exchange and when I swipe messages in the Inbox they give the option to Delete. I know that in at least one of the 4.0 betas it offered to Archive. Do I have to use the Gmail setup to get this feature instead of using Exchange? I use Exchange so I can get push mail.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

No, even though it says its deleting, it will really archive. Try deleting an email and go on gmail.com and you should see it in All Mail

3. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

So how do you have it send it to the trash on google? I've noticed some emails I've deleted in the trash folder while others remain in all mail?

Gmail via exchange.

5. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

In settings under each gmail account there's an option to toggle the archiving on or off. Once this is toggled off, the swipe to delete is returned.
    Enjoy :)

6. tariqi macrumors newbie

That toggle doesn't show up for Google Sync accounts (set up as an Exchange account). As mackmgg said, it should just automatically archive the message(s) even though it says delete. If you actually want to delete it, move it to the trash manually.

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That doesn't work either under exchange for gmail. Google activesync is set to move deleted iphone emails to all mail. The only real way to send it to trash is to delete from the gmail website.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

moving messages to a label works using that method though doesn't it?

assuming yes then what you do is:

1. create a lable called 'Deleted' or something

2. then set up a filter and under 'Has the words:' heading put without quotes "in: Deleted"

3. then in the next step select 'Delete it'

then your done and should be a fix to the 'move to delete actually archives' problem, so then to delete a message you just move to the 'Deleted' folder instead of 'Bin'

9. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

can you move to a lable on the iPhone though?

10. androiphone macrumors 65816

you can in IMAP, not sure on exchange set up.

if you can't you can always log on to gmail through the browser on the phone through gmail.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5J5sA48eV0

11. ateganda29 macrumors member

i have gmail on my iphone4 set up as exchange as well. when i went to each of the gmail account under settings, i didn't see a toggle switch for archiving. i'm still running 4.0.1. is this option only available on 4.1? if not, i don't know why i can't find the toggle for the archiving.

yes, you can. if you open your mail and go to mailboxes, the top area of the screen shows you the different inboxes you have set up (if you have multiple). if you scroll down, you'll see another section named 'accounts.' if you click on one of your gmail accounts listed, you will see all your labels and not just your inbox. hope that helps.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Gmail setup w/exchange and Google's activesync implementation will always archive deleted emails on the iphone. Doesn't matter if you send it to the trash folder or not. It is what it is. DO some tests and you will see no matter what filters/labels you set, deleted email goes to all mail.