Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noj73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I have a Mid-2009 MacBook with trackpad. I am unable to use new gestures in the mail app. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Specs I have found say this should work with trackpads that support multi finger gestures which mine does but I cannot find any settings to enable gestures in preferences for Mail app.

Thanks,
J

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you click to hi-light a message in mail (left column) and swipe the hi-lighted selection left using 2 fingers, does nothing happen?
Mine works out of the box, no preference setting required.

Last edited:

Noj73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I have not blue selection area, the bar is totally gray on the email. I have attached a screenshot.
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.10.08 AM.png

Noj73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
can you post a screenshot? I've tried every area of the highlighted message.

Noj73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
must be a hardware compatibility issue. Trackpad or processor limitation set by Apple.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Is there a way to make it archive the message instead of sending it to the Trash? That's how I have it set up on my iPad and iPhone.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Is there a way to make it archive the message instead of sending it to the Trash? That's how I have it set up on my iPad and iPhone.

Unfortunately as of right now there is no Archive option. Hopefully they update it to work the same way as it does in iOS. I'm going to submit a feature request using Feedback Assistant and you should too.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Unfortunately as of right now there is no Archive option. Hopefully they update it to work the same way as it does in iOS. I'm going to submit a feature request using Feedback Assistant and you should too.

Perfect! Doing it now. I wasn't sure if it were a "feature" or a bug, but considering iOS has already done this for a long time, it's gotta be a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.