Swipebids Advertising ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Tainter, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Tainter macrumors member

This site seems to be a real ripoff and i have heard nothing but bad stuff about it . Can anybody confirm this , and if it is not legit why would you guys advertise it ?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

From the FAQ

Please supply an URL and a screenshot that way the powers that be can go about removing it from the ad pool :)

3. Tainter thread starter macrumors member

Here is the screenshot and Image.

I really doubt you can buy a mac book pro for 15.43 $ but hey i might be wrong ...

[​IMG]

http://www.swipebids.com/

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We agree that the ad seems too good to be true. It promotes an auction site that (as we understand it) charges you to bid, so you risk spending money for a chance to get a great deal. The company makes money and some bidders come out ahead, but others don't. That kind of deal isn't everyone's taste and you certainly can't tell those details from the ad, but ads always spin the positive side of things. In that sense, we might equate it to an ad for a weight-loss method that may work for some people (as shown in the ad) and not for others. All shoppers should look before they leap based solely on an ad.

Bottom line: We understand this complaint but since the ad doesn't meet our usual test for "annoying" -- see the post by xUKHCx above -- we decided not to ask our ad service to remove it. If it's already gone from the ad rotation then the question is moot.

5. Tainter thread starter macrumors member

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Other sites seem to give it similarly bad reviews, so we've asked that their ads be removed from our rotation.

7. Tainter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys . I just really respect this site and did not want anybody to fall into a trap by not knowing what they are getting into....

I now even respect you guys more for your decision.....I realise advertising is necessary to keep eveything going,and it is hard to keep track of everything , but your decision shows me you really care about this site and its community. Thanks so much :)

8. Jaryd macrumors newbie

TOTALLY A SCAM!! Shout it from the Rooftops!

Everyone HERE is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

The SCAM is SIMPLE! They get a whole bunch of people to sign up and pay for Packages of Bids. If you bid anything on any of their auctions, you IMMEDIATELY lose your money WIN or LOSE! And you most assuredly will NOT win! No one does!

Since there is supposedly ONLY ONE winner, all of the other hundreds of people who Bid and LOST, just lost their money. The site could make thousands of dollars on ONE Auction!!! And they do make money - LOTS OF IT!!

So basically, you are BIDDING ALL of your money away on NOTHING! There is No Guarantee that you will EVER win!

This is more like a LOTTERY not an AUCTION. And you know the chances of winning a lottery!! But it would not even be a "legitimate" Lottery, since NO ONE WINS!

The definition of an auction is the Bidders do NOT lose their money if they do NOT win the Auction. In a TRUE Auction, you do NOT pay any money unless you have won.

WARNING
    : STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMERS and other sites like them. Another one is "SWOOPO"! I think they are the same company. Their websites are practically identical!!

Remember if you think you'll get a Diamond for a Dime, chances are you'll get a stone worth 10 cents. In this case, you have gotten NOTHING and LOST your money!