Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Anyone else have issues with swiping gestures? I'm on iOS12 and after a hard reset, my phone will work fine for a while but then will stop performing swipe actions correctly.

Examples:
  • Swiping up for multitasking leaves the switcher half-on, half-off screen
  • Swiping left to delete an item in an app will move the item halfway and leave the 'Delete' icon next to it but it'll be 'stuck' there
  • Pulling down to refresh a screen will show the spinner/loader at the top but it'll then 'stick' like that until I interact with it
Like I say, a hard reset fixes it but interested to see if it's a widespread issue or a problem with my phone?

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Anyone else have issues with swiping gestures? I'm on iOS12 and after a hard reset, my phone will work fine for a while but then will stop performing swipe actions correctly.

Examples:
  • Swiping up for multitasking leaves the switcher half-on, half-off screen
  • Swiping left to delete an item in an app will move the item halfway and leave the 'Delete' icon next to it but it'll be 'stuck' there
  • Pulling down to refresh a screen will show the spinner/loader at the top but it'll then 'stick' like that until I interact with it
Like I say, a hard reset fixes it but interested to see if it's a widespread issue or a problem with my phone?

Weird, but if hard reset fixes it, then it is not hardware issue, which is more important.

I do not have such problems with XS Max, gestures work like intended.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Weird, but if hard reset fixes it, then it is not hardware issue, which is more important.

I do not have such problems with XS Max, gestures work like intended.
Indeed! Which leaves it more to be a software issue which, I'd guess, would affect more people but I have not heard/seen others reporting it!

It's not app-specific either, which is frustrating just seems to affect the OS as a whole

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Assuming by hard reset you mean a restore; when you restore it, do you do it on the phone or through a pc?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Indeed! Which leaves it more to be a software issue which, I'd guess, would affect more people but I have not heard/seen others reporting it!

It's not app-specific either, which is frustrating just seems to affect the OS as a whole
What device are we discussing?

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Got the screen module replaced by Apple yesterday. Just in time too, the phone had started selecting things without any interaction from me and - luckily - was doing so in the Apple Store so they could see it.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Glad you got it sorted. I was gonna post this. But, will still post. I also have an X. Out of warranty. But, when swiping up for multitasking nothing happens. Only started after using WAZE for awhile. Then a couple times on GMaps. So, the apps stay open and location service shows active in top left corner. Resetting fixes. If it persists, will delete WAZE. Should mention it only happens on those 2 apps.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
And here we go again. Same issues with the new screen. Looks like another trip back to Apple and hope they replace the phone

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
So Apple tested the phone with the new display and apparently it didn't pass all the tests, so they gave me a replacement phone.
Nice, I thought. Until yesterday. Now I'm having exactly the same issues!!!

Does anyone get this with the XS?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There may be a specific App to blame?

Which App relates to your 2nd dot point?

The only gesture I have issues with intermittently is the swipe down Control Centre, which doesn’t work sometimes unless I unlock the phone.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
There may be a specific App to blame?

Which App relates to your 2nd dot point?

The only gesture I have issues with intermittently is the swipe down Control Centre, which doesn’t work sometimes unless I unlock the phone.
At the time of the post it was Spark, but I no longer use it. This is OS-wide and affects every aspect of it: multitasking leaves the app draw off screen so I can't see them, swiping between home screens leaves them half-swiped and I cannot select an app, the keyboard disappears on its own, items are selected without interaction from me, swiping up to unlock opens 2/3 of the apps in the bottom draw of the home screen... and so on and so on.

it's verging on unusable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.