Swiping trackpad doesn't wake up computer from sleep.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mintiecookie, May 24, 2010.

1. mintiecookie macrumors newbie

I have a new mid 2010 Macbook Pro i7 only had it for 3 weeks, I used to be able to tap/swipe my trackpad to wake my computer from sleep but now its not responsive to it, though clicking it works and the other ways like pressing the keyboard works. Is the trackpad not meant to wake it up? i have also tried a SMC reset/PRAM reset and checking/unchecking trackpad settings no change. Could anyone help me?

2. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

I don't think mine ever has, I always use the fn key to wake it up

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, mine (13" Mid 2010) doesn't respond to any touch input, only click and key press. That's the way it should be. Can you imagine how annoying it would be if your computer woke up every time you accidentally touched the trackpad?

4. mintiecookie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats true, but the problem is i was able to wake it up without key or click input before and now i can't. Also my friends C2D MBP 2008 wakes from tapping or swiping.

5. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have it wake up if you walk to your MacBook Pro?

I mean, with the combination of the iSight webcam and the technology behind iPhoto's Faces, it should be possible, don't ya think?

But it would be very battery-intensive to have your webcam always put on when your Mac sleeps. And Steve is not going to vote for battery-draining technologies, imo... :(

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Are you sure that it was all the way asleep? If just the display has gone black but the computer is awake, swiping the trackpad will wake it. This is pretty common if you either have the time-to-display-sleep set lower than the system sleep time in the Energy Saver pref pane, or if there's something running in the background keeping the computer from fully sleeping (also quite common).

I'm pretty sure that unless this was the case there's no way a trackpad swipe can wake a Mac unless you were pushing hard enough to actually click the trackpad.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Did no one actually test this? I just put my MacBook (aluminum) to sleep, swiped the trackpad, and it woke up. Worked with anywhere from 1-4 fingers at a time.

Now, unfortunately, I don't really have any ideas for how to solve the issue, but will everyone please stop saying it doesn't ever do that? It's very obviously not true.

jW

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Huh, that's new behavior. Yes, I've tested this on my older MBP and it definitely doesn't wake.

The same is true of mouse movements on a desktop, wired mouse, although some wireless mice with USB receivers (both Logitech ones I have, anyway) will wake the computer with just movement.

Well, I've learned something today.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yours doesn't support swipe gestures. I would guess this was introduced with the multi-touch trackpads.

jW

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. You would need to have processor, hard drive, and memory powered, which is basically equivalent to display sleep only.

I did. And no, like I said, it doesn't work on my 13" Mid 2010 MacBook Pro.

11. mintiecookie thread starter macrumors newbie

Makosuke it was 100% asleep. "Apparently" swipe/tap gestures are supposed to wake it up, confirmed by calling up Apple tech support it should be responsive so long as you have the settings on tap for click and gestures. Taking it in tomorrow to get looked at, will tell you guys how that goes.

Here's link about what you could do:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2438237&stqc=true

12. mintiecookie thread starter macrumors newbie

I walked into a store and tried out 4 laptops which were MacBook Pro, MacBook set the same settings as i had on my machine "tap to click, and all the gestures" to my amazement none of them woke up by swiping/tapping only by clicking the trackpad itself and using a key. Perhaps its not supposed to since all 4 machines did it? and not just mine.

13. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

i know my old 14" ibook would wake from trackpad movement and the late 2008 unibody doesn't thought it was something they switched on the intels to save some kind of battery..

go into console and post the last snippet of system.log from when it went to sleep and when you woke it up. i've seen some software def. cause a sleep issue before.

14. hl450 macrumors member

It's in the macbook pro manual(2010 uMBP)

To wake your MacBook Pro:
    - If the display is closed, simple open it to wake up your Macbook Pro
    - If the display is already open, press the power button or any key on the keyboard.

SO touching the trackpad shouldn't wake your machine up.

Mal: make sure your machine actually sleeps(not just the display) in clamshell mode. because if it wakes up on trackpad swipe, it might be that your system is not actually sleeping. Also check if the sleep indicator is pulsing(not constantly on)