Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Hey guys

I wanna send/receive MMS on my iPhone, i'm on 02 £35/m in the UK.

Iv got the settings, iv got the latest version of swirly MMS... but 02 wont let me turn on MMS cos im on an iPhone!

I call up and they ask for my phone number, they then pass me straight over to iphone team who say they dont even have the option to turn it on (even after I explain i have software to send/receive)

Has anyone else got it working?
Any ideas?

Thanks, Leigh

jsm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
try this

put your sim card in a normal mobile phone that does picture messages,then phone up o2 and say your not using your iphone at the present time and get them to enable mms on you sim.
make sure your sim is in the other phone when you ring as they will know what phone your using.

please post out come.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Won't they still be able to work out very quickly that the original poster has iPhone contract though?

SAFC2403

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
Sunderland, UK
I'm on the 35 quid iphone tariff and can send but not receive. Every time I recieve one i get an SMS from o2 telling me to view it online.

Has anyone got round that one??

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
Its not happenin for me guys :(

I'm trying to use SwirlyMMS on an O2UK contract phone, I've jailbroken it and installed swirlyMMS (that name makes me LOL), but I can't get the correct settings. Does anyone know what they are exactly? If anyone is using a normal O2 phone could they tell me what they're settings are?

jsm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
o2 working settings

I'm trying to use SwirlyMMS on an O2UK contract phone, I've jailbroken it and installed swirlyMMS (that name makes me LOL), but I can't get the correct settings. Does anyone know what they are exactly? If anyone is using a normal O2 phone could they tell me what they're settings are?

MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
PROXY: 193.113.200.195:8080
APN : wap.o2.co.uk
USERNAME: o2wap
PASSWORD: password

if you are on iphone contract sim card needs to be picture message enable by o2

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
UK
i have a contract sim (not Iphone one) got a 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken phone. I loaded swirlymms and can now send mms...

I then received a mms but instead of swirlymms i got a standard text from o2 saying to view your mms go online etc.. I can't seem to receive mms. I installed mobile finder etc and it also appears that the mms folder is not on my phone or at least i followed the file tree and could not find anything.

Anyone else have any ideas, i am using the latest swirlymms 0.3.8

Any ideas.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Well I'm guessing that this is what O2 have to enable phone by phone. Their server would know, when it got an MMS for you, whether your phone was able to receive the message or whether to send you the SMS telling you to look for it on the web.

And if you tell them you have an iPhone, they won't enable it.

I don't know if MMS formats are handset-specific - you could try telling them you have a Viewty or something like that so that they enable it for you.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
UK
how long does it take for o2 to update mms. Phoned earlier and they said they will make provision for mms. That was about two hours ago but still can only send but keep getting normal text to get mms online. Do you think they haven't sorted it??

jsm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
i have a contract sim (not Iphone one) got a 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken phone. I loaded swirlymms and can now send mms...

I then received a mms but instead of swirlymms i got a standard text from o2 saying to view your mms go online etc.. I can't seem to receive mms. I installed mobile finder etc and it also appears that the mms folder is not on my phone or at least i followed the file tree and could not find anything.

Anyone else have any ideas, i am using the latest swirlymms 0.3.8

Any ideas.

to recieve mms picture you also need to install finder and preview from within installer

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
to recieve mms picture you also need to install finder and preview from within installer

This is not necessary for the current versions of SwirlyMMS. It took me an age to get my iPhone working on O2 for MMS but i got it sorted eventually.

Here's what i did.

Firstly, go to the Sony Ericsson website here, http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/phones/detailed/phonesetupwap/w910i?cc=gb&lc=en

Fill in all the details as required, this will send the correct MMS settings to your phone, Swirly should pick them up and install them for you. For some reason the O2 ones never actually come though.

Now then next bit requires some patience. Phone O2, tell them you have another phone you use on the weekend or when your out for a drink, say it's something like an N95, M600i e.t.c and you would like to have MMS added to your account.

Now they will probably tell you it's not possible as it isn't provisioned for the iPhone, explain you have a friend who has had this done.

Tell them to take a look, and they will see that there is an option on there screen for MMS, and that it is already selected. What they need to do is disable that MMS selection, then wait for that action to go live on the network (this can take up to 24hrs), then once that has completed to re-enable the MMS option (again this can take 24hrs). If you find someone helpful they will keep an eye on your account and do this all for you, then give you a ring to let you know it is done. If not you may need to phone them back.

You should then be good to go, try sending an MMS to yourself and see if it works.

If it doesn't, rinse and repeat as necessary. I had to call over ten times to get this sorted.

Hope that helps someone!!

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Sorry you felt it was long winded, i was just trying to help some people out, took me ages to get this to work.

No you do not need a SE phone, the settings they send will be picked up and loaded by SwirlyMMS.

anonymouse44

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
I am on O2 Payandgo.
To get Swirly to send and receive MMS I texted PICON to 21400 and O2 acknowledged the text and then activated MMS.
May help someone.

anonymouse44

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Just texted the above, O2 text back sayingthey are processing it and will get back to me.

It's on the O2 site:rolleyes:

Mine was activated well before I got the confirmation e-mail, so it's worth sending yourself an MMS to test, and in Swirly settings put the image size to medium else you'll get a MINUTE pic.

Glad it helped ypu.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
It's on the O2 site:rolleyes:

Mine was activated well before I got the confirmation e-mail, so it's worth sending yourself an MMS to test, and in Swirly settings put the image size to medium else you'll get a MINUTE pic.

Glad it helped ypu.

Just tried using these settings,

and

Failed to send MMS

The network reported: service denied (pe)
The MMS is placed in the outbox :(

Micksflick

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Just tried using these settings,

and

Failed to send MMS

The network reported: service denied (pe)
The MMS is placed in the outbox :(

Try setting the image size to mininmum it worked for me.
For sending.

But when I recieve it still goes to the o2 web page to view the mms any Ideas on how to get it to go stright to Swrilymms.

Micksflick

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
This is not necessary for the current versions of SwirlyMMS. It took me an age to get my iPhone working on O2 for MMS but i got it sorted eventually.

Here's what i did.

Firstly, go to the Sony Ericsson website here, http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/phones/detailed/phonesetupwap/w910i?cc=gb&lc=en

Fill in all the details as required, this will send the correct MMS settings to your phone, Swirly should pick them up and install them for you. For some reason the O2 ones never actually come though.

Now then next bit requires some patience. Phone O2, tell them you have another phone you use on the weekend or when your out for a drink, say it's something like an N95, M600i e.t.c and you would like to have MMS added to your account.

Now they will probably tell you it's not possible as it isn't provisioned for the iPhone, explain you have a friend who has had this done.

Tell them to take a look, and they will see that there is an option on there screen for MMS, and that it is already selected. What they need to do is disable that MMS selection, then wait for that action to go live on the network (this can take up to 24hrs), then once that has completed to re-enable the MMS option (again this can take 24hrs). If you find someone helpful they will keep an eye on your account and do this all for you, then give you a ring to let you know it is done. If not you may need to phone them back.

You should then be good to go, try sending an MMS to yourself and see if it works.

If it doesn't, rinse and repeat as necessary. I had to call over ten times to get this sorted.

Hope that helps someone!!

Does your messages go stright to your Iphone or to the o2 web page that's what im trying to do stop it going to o2 .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.