Switch account to standard user in Terminal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GaresTaylan, Mar 1, 2013.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. The company I work for has decided that we need to switch multiple users from admin accounts to standard accounts. Since there are multiple people across multiple machines, it will take awhile to remote into each machine and manually flip the flag in system preferences.

Does anyone know if there is a command I can run via ssh in Terminal that will allow me to flip that switch for a specific username?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Do you have multiple users on each system? You have to have an admin account on each computer, if I recall correctly. If you don't, then you will have to add a user, and then change the account type after adding an admin user.

I take it you are not using profile manager or open directory?

You can change the user type from the terminal by changing the group. You would use dscl to change the group from admin to standard after creating another admin account if need be.

How are you administering the computers? Remote Desktop? If you use Remote Desktop you could probably write a shell script to add a user and change the current user's group.

Cheers