Switch App Store bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

When switching between one country & another countries App Store, weather u sign-in/sign-out via either iTunes and App Store or via the App Store app directly, but weather u change countries u are presented with this instead:

You are not purchasing anything, and not viewing any app specific to any country... You are only just opening up the App Store App after switching countries.

When tap "Change Store" this does not always work either.

Apple's response to this is "Well,, u shouldn't be doing this anyway." which is all that i would expect from Apple...

You telling me if u are in another country (eg on vacation) u cannot use switch to that App Store in that country temporarily ?

I doubt that. Anyone experience this? and is there a fix ?

Attached Files:

2. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

To be honest, this is unfortunately how the Apple Store is designed. Switching countries has serious consequences. Normally some items are not available in some stores as developers do not make them available and they are location-specific. If you want to access and purchase items from two different stores, it's easier to have two Apple ID's - two credit cards / two addresses to cover that. Also when you switch countries, you are unable to see your purchases from another country or download them again. This is different for iOS where you still get updates for the apps you've downloaded. This also applies to Music / Movies / TV Shows, which are linked to a country as well as far as I'm aware.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

True. however its even though this is error indicates "an item is not available", that's more or less a fake error simply bause i am not searchng for any item.... its just logging in via Settings with a serapte Apple ID in that country and opening up the App Store.. (this is done after previously signing out of Settings, from a different country)

Both Apple ID's are from different countries and signed out/in appropriately.... Tried via the app, and via Settings and neither works well.

Your right in regards to 'purchases' too because for the same reason on the tab you see "No purchases" and asks you you sign in in the App Store, when in fact are already sign in (confirmed under Settings). This is really the only conformation, since trying to see via the app itself is useless after switching countries.

Even though, u can sometimes get it going ok if u constantly sign-out/sign-in on the same Apple ID via Settings, after switching initially... but definitely not the first..

The "just the way it it" i don't by that, although i do understand Apple's reasoning....... On the back-end, this has not worked from day 1, and the reason i always think is. "Well Apple just chooses not to fix it, then give their users the story that *if should not be done*"

When, in fact, they give you the option TO do just that....

I wish it would work better, what i guess what are ya gonna do *shrugs*

If they give the ability to switch, then at least they should back up that saying, rather then leaving it broke then inform users "its not the usual way (it should) be done"

If it was 'by design', then its a bad design since Apple allows customers to switch in iOS, instead of putting up an error saying or preventing based on Apple iD country.

in the end, i sure hope Apple finally fixes this, but i also don't hold my chances either.

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That's strange then. Does it happen every time no matter where you are in the App Store when you switch countries? Weird glitch for sure.

Yeah you are right, I hope Apple does something about this as it's really annoying. Especially in Europe, I've moved to the UK and back to the Czech Republic and still use my UK Apple ID only. It's funny because you are billed from Luxembourg in both cases.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yes, it happens every time i switch between US, and Australia.

6. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That's really strange. My first guess (without any deeper knowledge) would be an app you've might searched for stuck in the cache and it remembers it - that certain app might not be available in that store. Wonder if you keep the App Store open on an app, available in both countries and trying to change countries, if it does it again.