Switch back to PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tonytk, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tonytk macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been reading in the macrumors forums for quite awhile, just haven't ever needed to make a post. Thought I'd make an attempt today.

I'm looking for some advice for my purchase of a laptop in the coming weeks or months. I do not NEED one now...I can wait...but I do WANT a laptop fairly soon.

Currently I have a G5 iMac that I purchased in November of 2004. This thing is pushing 5.5 Years! This is my first Mac computer. I'm impressed that besides a problem with the power supply in 2006 (That Apple replaced free even though it was out of warranty) there really hasn't been any problems with this thing. I am by no means a "fanboy" but I do appreciate that this thing has lasted. I have upgraded the memory and I'm currently running Mac OS 10.5.8. Since this is a G5 I don't think I can upgrade to 10.6

Here is what I use my iMac for:
    - Web Browsing/Mail
    - iChat
    - iTunes/Burning CDs/downloading music
    - Fluenz Language Software (similar to Rosetta Stone)
    - Hulu Video/Video from the ITMS
    - Some iPhoto
    - Fantasy Sports (my Safari crashed recently when I was drafting in a ESPN league with a flash based draft room and I was also toggling back to a webpage for draft advice)
    - Online Poker

Pretty basic, consumer, easy stuff. However, I can tell that my Mac is struggling sometimes to handle a lot of different stuff going on. I have 1.5GB of PC3200 Memory.

I'm waiting to see the MBP updated just to see the price points and what the updates are. I don't think it will be anything mind blowing. I also do not think I need a MBP. I'm probably more of a Mac Book kinda guy. But I'll consider both really.

The $800 Macbook at Microcenter would appear to be a Slam Dunk for me...however...I do have a new job that I'd like to be able to access our VPN. All indications I have from the CTO is that I need a PC to do this. Apparently we use WatchGuard and I need to install software on my personal computer to be able to access the VPN.

I could just get a Macbook or Macbook Pro and buy Windows with Boot Camp. That just adds to the costs but only $100-125. Thoughts?

Here are some features that I'd like with my next computer albeit a PC or a MAC:
    - i3 or i5 processor
    - backlit keyboard
    - a high res screen
    - a 15 inch screen (why no 15 in Macbooks?)
    - 250GB HD+ (160GB in current 13in MBP too small)
    - DDR3 Memory
    - Microsoft Office
    - Great Looking (Most Dells, HPs, Toshibas are UGLY)

I'm not trying to "future proof" my next computer but I do want some nice features.

Sorry for the long rant. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

2. Raje macrumors member

3. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

4. tonytk thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the Watch Guard Program requires you to install software on your personal laptop to be able to access the VPN. My boss wasn't sure if they made a Mac compatible software. When I went to Watch Guard's site it didn't appear they did.

If I can access the VPN with a new Mac....I might as well wait to see if they update the Macbook as well with i3 or i5 processors.

Also, my budget is under $1200 for any new laptop. PC or Mac.

5. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

Yes, WatchGuard has support for Mac OSx.

6. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

would boot camp be an option? windows works great on my macbook pro

7. tonytk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that was one of my options. Get a Mac regardless and run Windows 7 on a small partition (10GB? 20GB?).

8. Jamuke macrumors newbie

What a laptop from sony? There expensive but still cheaper than a macbook

9. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

Another more flexible 'free' option, if you need to run windoze, is Sun's VirtualBox. It's worth a look if you really must run another OS.

good luck

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

You might want to look into a HP Envy 15. It looks pretty good and has instant on.

The gripes with the macbook is that the 15 inch model is way too expensive, close to $2000 including windows and the trackpad is almost unusable in windows.

11. Jamuke macrumors newbie

Is the trackpad really that bad? because I'm looking to get a macbook pro if the update is this month; but I'll think twice if I can't use windows properly!

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah it is that bad. Having said that, I use windows on my macbook about 90% of the time and mac os about 10% of the time. I have to plug in an external usb mouse to use windows, so it basically makes my laptop a desktop.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's that bad.

If you want something that looks good, and is a PC, look at these.
    Dell 15" Dell 13"

I didn't want Vista, wanted a change from XP, and got a MBP. After MS released Windows 7, I switched back. I just got a V13 (what I linked to) and although it doesn't have a great video card, it NEVER gets hot, runs everything I need smoothly, and is very sweet looking. If you get it refurbished, it's like $420

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

I decided to install apple software update for windows today. I ran the update and it downloaded bootcamp 3.1 drivers. The trackpad drivers are better now, the sensitivity setting is good. Still no multitouch or gestures, but it comes closer to being like a regular windows driver.

Video graphics seem to be worse now, but not a big deal to me. I'm pretty happy with the update.