Switch back to Safari 3.X.X ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldManJimbo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Is there a way to back out of Safari 4b ??
    It seems to be really buggy and slow of late - pages take for ever to load.
    I'd like to just go back to the latest 3.x.x version until the beta is finished.
    Is that possible?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari 4b image has an uninstaller in it. funny you can't just drag it to trash can like most other apps ....

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before running the uninstaller, use the beta or Firefox/your alternate browser of choice if you have it installed to download either this or this, depending on if you have Tiger or Leopard.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I reset my safari 4 teh other day. I'm fairly sure it cleared 4GB of space and then was as snappy as the day I installed it.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari 's topsite preview images are hideously large and HDD consuming. I have no idea if apple know anything about compressing an image, or garbage collection, or release HDD space from time to time.

you might want to file a bug report to apple regarding this, definitely need to solve.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Where are these preview's stored? Had a look in the usual ~/Library places but couldn't find anything large.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

/private/var/folders/36/36CUaKVfEna30987Ywkm6k+++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews/

some strings in there might be random, as I just copied from other people's post, you might need to do a simple dip once u got into var folder.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

:eek:
    Wow.....so mine's 3.87 gigs, and I consider myself to be a light surfer.

So, that means every little, single, teeny, tiny, insignificant webpage I've visited has been imaged? (seems so, got the 'preview' of this very page as I type). Good news that it doesn't seem to image the https (like net banking websites).

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this has to be solved before final. apple should limit the space the preview program is taken, compress the image, and remove the unused images more frequently.