Switch between headphone and speaker?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lavino, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lavino macrumors member

Yes I know that problem solved if I just reach behind and unplug the jack :p. But is there any app that can do that? I notice that the speaker still works with my headphone plugged while booting up because I can hear that boot up tone. So in theory it is possible? Not a big deal if not... I can always lean forward. Just wish that the headphone jack is located in the front or on the side...

2. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

i've been meaning to ask the same question, and have searched around the forums for an answer. I conclude that it's not possible. :confused:

My next question in regards to this annoyance would be: "what USB or bluetooth headset work good instead?",

Buy that, and completely bypass the ridiculously placed mini-jack on the back.

I have a Creative Fata1ity headset, and it works allright...until at some point after a reeboot, where i have to unplug an plug it back in for Mac OS to detect it again. Back to zero :eek:

3. Steamrunner macrumors member

You could use a set of external speakers that have their own headphone socket.

4. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

i know, but it would be quite silly to add speakers to a setup where easy switching between speakers and headphones is the main goal. But i agree, it would work :D

5. theyesman macrumors newbie

6. Robsor macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Search Google for RogueAmeba, think that's the program that lets you switch between speakers and headphones

7. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Cool! Thanks!!
    soundsource by rogue amoeba indeed looks like the app we are looking for. I Will test it later myself.

SoundSource
    SOPHISTICATED SONIC SELECTION
    SoundSource is a tiny application for Mac OS X enabling you to switch your audio input and output sources with a single click, and even adjust their volume settings.

8. lavino thread starter macrumors member

I tried it.. very cool app but I see that there is only one output called headphone. I tried to click on it it won't check off. Also there is no such choice as "set to internal speaker".
    Anyone tried it and get it to work can give me help me out?

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, unfortunately I think built-in audio is simply just hardwired to the digital audio output so you can never use the iMac speakers whenever you have that output occupied by something else.

I wish I were wrong though as I'd like to be able to do exactly the same as you. :eek:

10. yustas macrumors regular

Is it possible to disable sound in one program, say, during a DVD playback, but to have sound during a youtube playback at the same time?

11. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Yup, same here, i guess a USB or bluetooth headset will be the only solution without having external speakers to plug and unplug them into, or getting up and plug it directly into the iMac every time a headset is needed. Not much different than on a PC really, only that most PC's have a lot of ports on the front.

12. misionero macrumors newbie

use alt

I struggles with this too and found a suggestion that is so easy and works perfectly for my needs:

For OSX, I have found a way to switch between my usb headset and speakers. You simply hold alt and click the speaker icon on the status bar. Then, you can choose which output source u want.

13. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

This only works for me for switching between sources such as headphones or HDMI out.

As in, when my headphones are connected, those are the only two options.

I would LOVE to figure out how to do what the OP is asking.