Switch black cover for white one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonbig08, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jonbig08 macrumors newbie

I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I actually had some difficulty finding it in search, besides I'm sure there is more info on it now. I just got the iphone 3G (will wait for next year for real upgrade), and I got the black one because I don't even use 2 gigs of space on my current Iphone, but I really want that white cover. Can I swap them somehow? Is there a place I can find the white cover? Is the black cover difficult to remove?

2. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

You could swap them but it will void your warranty/apple care. Not sure how hard of a process it is.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The back casing is fairly easy to remove, and here's some auctions on eBay that are selling back housing. If anything ever happens to your phone just swap the old one back on.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Don't do it. I tried that exact thing, and I can say don't do it. Voids the warranty, and I broke my iPhone 3G earpiece speaker and proximity sensors in the process. I didn't even complete the process. There are dozens of tiny screws that equally tight spaces to deal with as well as adhesives and what not. Don't. I got my replacement back from digiexpress.us, and they charged $40. For another $45 they would have done it for me but either way it voids the warranty.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Are you kidding me? Easy? Have you ever done it before? Everything in the phone is screwed into the back cover, you must remove ALL of the internals to get the back cover off, its not easy by any means. Every guide rates it as difficult, and its very easy to kill the earpiece and proximity sensors because of the cable location.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Why, sweet Jesus? You should have either gotten a white phone, or put a cover on it.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I love taking things apart so maybe my curiosity killed any difficulty that there might have actually been. :p

8. jonbig08 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, after 2 years I only use around 2 gigs of space so 16gigs is overkill. I don't mind the black, but I like white better.

9. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I think if I were to change the back and void the warranty, which i wouldent, I would want a clear back ! :apple: