Switch Boot Camp to Paralle Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by quanganhct, Jan 4, 2011.

1. quanganhct macrumors member

Dec 29, 2010
    I have this little problem. A few months ago, I install Win7 using Boot Camp, and it's a success. However, now i realize that it's too trouble each time I wanna run a app on Windows (gotta reboot my Mac), so I decide to use Paralle Desktop. So I wanna ask if there is a way to run the windows,which was installed by Boot camp , by Paralle Desktop ? 'cause it's suck to remove win7 from Boot Camp, then reinstall it again.

Thanks in advance
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Yes, Parallels will read your BootCamp Partition
    You should be prompted to add it when you start up
  3. quanganhct thread starter macrumors member

Dec 29, 2010
    Really ? Thanks alot
    Wow I feel relieved ! Now I can run Visual Studio while running Xcode , Great ! :D
  4. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Just be a bit careful. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion offer two options for dealing with Boot Camp partitions.

One is a strict import where a new, separate VM is created from the Boot Camp partition and the Boot Camp partition becomes obsolete.

The second is a shared Boot Camp/VM configuration where you can choose one or the other.

As a VMWare user I don't know what these are called in Parallels.

Either way you may run into activation issues, but they are generally surmountable.