Switch boot volume or move bootcamp partition to new drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kobhart, Jul 19, 2008.

1. kobhart macrumors newbie

I purchased a new hard drive, my second Samsung 750 GB. My first one is partitioned, half for OSX half for Vista. Ultimately, I want to have a hard drive per operating system.
    At first I thought the way to go for this, based on some stuff I read here on Mac Rumors was to use winclone to clone the windows partition,restore it to the new drive, and then I don't know what...I did the restore, there were errors in the log though... something about the wrong kind of partition. Basically it's become a pain in the ass, and I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.

It occurred to me, I might be able to use "Install and Archive" to move the boot volume to the new disk, moving the user files and network settings with it. If I did this would I be able to expand the windows partition using winclone utilizing the full hard drive? Or could moving the boot volume to the new disk mess up my Windows partition? A little help?

2. kobhart thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved. It turns out that Winclone was the right way to go with this, or at least it worked. I erased my original windows partition and then on the new disk I restored the Windows partition image I had made earlier with Winclone. I had a slight panic come over me when the Winclone splash screen popped up and it said not to erase the original partition until you know the restored version works. So I was working without a safety net but everything seems fine so far.

I'd still like to know whether this could've been done by reinstalling Leopard on the new disk using the install and archive, and then expanding the size of the windows partition on the original disk using winclone. Does anybody have any idea on whether that would work?

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It would probably be better to use a 2nd drive for vista entirely. As it is if your drive fails you have lost both leopard and Windows. I think performance wise you would be better of as well, and make a separate 5GB or so swap partition for windows either way if you can.

4. kobhart thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I did. I cloned the windows partition using winclone and restored it on the new hard drive, and left the boot volume, OSX startup disk, where it was. I now have a 750 GB hard drive for each OS.
    I was thinking that I could have moved the OSX boot volume and left the windows partition where it was, but there were too many unknowns.

I think I did it the best way possible, though the Winclone forums are total chaos. I couldn't find a search function, and people give threads crappy titles. I ended up having to figure it out myself. I felt like I was flying blind without a parachute, but it all worked out.