Switch box recommendations

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by n8mac, Aug 13, 2012.

1. n8mac macrumors 6502

I am looking for recommendations for a decent switch box to hook up a bunch of old consoles to my plasma TV that has only one composite port. So far I have...
    Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    Wii
    DVD player

I bought a very cheap a/v switch on ebay and after a few months it started to make a buzzing sound and flickering so you get what you pay for. I plan on buying a Saturn and PS2 down the road so if I could get a box with 6 or more composite that would be best. If they don't have units with more than 4 ports, could I buy 2 boxes and hook one into the other? I will be getting component cables for the Wii and DVD player soon so if the box also has component that would be a plus. No s-video needed as my TV doesn't have that. Something under $30 USD is preferred.

Thanks in advance.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you're in the US try monoprice.com they are likely going to be the cheapest you can find for that sort of item.

3. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. I looked and they didn't have any composite units, just newer component and HDMI stuff. I found one on amazon.com called GTMax switch box that takes 6 composite and s/video for $29 and ordered that. I hope it works well enough.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Lets us know your review. I will be in the same boat soon and looking for a switch.

5. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I just went back to Amazon to see if there were any left in stock and they are now out. Can't find it on Ebay either. Which stinks as it works well. This is the unit I bought before and found extremely cheaply made which I would never recommend.

But if you can find the unit I just bought, here is my review...

GTMax Deluxe Audio/Video Selector (CABRCA070)

So far I found it to be a well made box that works as advertised. It has 6 A/V ports in and 6 S-Video ports in, and 1 A/V port and S-Video port out.

Positives...
    1. Has both composite and s-video
    2. 6 ports instead of 3 or 4 like most other boxes
    3. Sturdy construction
    4. No power needed
    5. Neutral black color
    6. All ports clearly marked

Negatives...
    1. Only negative is that there was no place to write down what units are connected to which numbers. So I just took some label paper and cut it to the size of the top and wrote on that.

Eventually I hope to have this setup...
    A/V units...
    1. Super NES
    2. Genesis
    3. Saturn
    4. N64
    5. Dreamcast
    6. Atari 2600 with composite hack

Component units with component switch...
    1. DVD player
    2. PS2 + PS1 games
    3. Wii + gamecube games

Now if I can just find the room for all that :eek: