Switch Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, May 7, 2013.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

How hard is it to switch the entire display unit on the MacBook Pro 15" Retina? I am referring to the entire top half of the laptop with the display with another like unit?

Can it removed as one entire unit or is it more complex than that? I know with Dell or HP systems you can remove the entire top half and replace it with another like replacement.

----------

For example. Let's say I have an LG screen and wanted to replace it with a Samsung screen. I have two identical MacBook Pro's. One has an LG screen and the other has a Samsung screen. I would just want to swap one for the other.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's glued to the lid if I'm not mistaken, meaning you need to replace the whole top piece of the laptop. Pretty inconvenient. Damn Apple.

3. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I want to do. Replace the entire top piece. Which is what I mentioned in the second part of my post.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

To be fair I'm almost positive you added that after I read the post.

You should be able to do it. The monitors use the same technology for a connection and are the same size so I don't see why not.

Obviously will void warranty though

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you're experiencing problems with the LG screen, even if you bought the first Retina MBP off the line and did not get AppleCare, you would still be under warranty. Why not let the pros handle the replacement?

6. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

How would Apple or anyone else know that I replaced the screen or took part of the laptop apart?

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

They know the parts attached to the laptop using the serial number. If they really cared about checking I'm sure they could find out in less then a minute that a Samsung screen is not original to your laptop. While a lot of them are dumb from my experience they take voided warranties seriously

I suggest taking it in as well. The Retina is pretty hard to work on.