Switch focus between application and its help window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fred6633, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fred6633 macrumors newbie

Hello,

OS X 10.6.6

If I open an application's help, I haven't found another way to switch focus between the application window and help window than using the mouse.

I would prefer to use the keyboard. Is there a way? Ctrl + F6 doesn't work.

Fred

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You really need to specify which application(s). I'm pretty sure that what you're asking about cannot be done in Word or Excel, for instance, with the keyboard or the mouse.

3. fred6633 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was talking about the Apple programs and the the built-in system help. I tested some more and noticed that Ctrl + F6 can shift focus from the help window to the application windows but not back to the help window.

If I use ctrl + F6 to shift focus from the help window to TextEdit's windows, I lose the cursor in TextEdit but I can type.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I played around with using cmd tab and the help window wasn't on the list of apps I could pick. I use Chrome which thumbs its nose at OS X help and brings up help in a browser tab so I can't test this inside Chrome but in other apps I didn't find a way to toggle between the help window and the app. I don't like taking my hands off the keyboard to deal with the mouse but I use help so rarely this really doesn't bother me that much. Is there a particular reason this bothers you or is it just a personal preference?

5. fred6633 thread starter macrumors newbie

The same as yours. I don't like taking my hands of the keyboard to deal with the mouse...

I would also like a key to send the help window to doc. Only the mouse seems to be able to.

6. simsaladimbamba

I have encountered the same and additionally, that the HELP window stays always on top and I have to move around it or minimise it. It also moves through Spaces.
    www.apple.com/feedback might be in order.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can change that behavior in Leopard, so the Help window won't stay on top, by using Secrets. It doesn't work for SL, but I'd guess there's a Terminal command that will accomplish that.

8. fred6633 thread starter macrumors newbie

This command only works in Leopard but not in SL:

defaults write com.apple.helpviewer NormalWindow -bool true

I've googled a lot but haven't a solution for SL