Switch from abelton to Logic 9 or Express?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by The Final Cut, May 4, 2012.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Currently trying to learn abelton, but it is super complicated, the grid layout feels like controls of an alien spacecraft. Since I'm use to timeline (final cut, avid, audacity, etc) Im looking into my other options. I want to get in on logic since it looks easier than pro tools, its a bit cheaper, and hey I have a mac so as might as well use the exclusive software. My concern is how to buy it/what version to buy? I don't want to pay $199.99 on the app store... there seems to be some great deals on ebay, but I don't know if buying used software is ok. Also what about express? I know its discontinued but seems to have almost the same features for what I do.

2. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Just some friendly advice, and I know this is all subjective but, Ableton Live is probably the easy music production software on the market to use. Many people are not use to the "grid" layout (Session View) but once you do get use to it, you will see how wonderful it is... but in the mean time, simply hit the tab key and now you've got the traditional timeline layout (Arrange View) you are familiar with; best of both worlds!

Logic is incredibly powerful and brilliant piece of software for music production, and in my experience, the most difficult to learn. What was my experience? I was the senior audio editor at AVID/M-Audio for a couple of years, so it was my job to know the ins and outs of everything from Cubase, Live, Pro Tools, Logic, Acid, etc.; worked with them all on a daily basis, and when I got home at night to work on my own stuff, I always fired up Ableton Live.

Just my two cents...

3. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I think Im just going to mess around with garage band a little more, possibly get logic express 9 for like $50 on ebay in the future. Abelton is so good but what a steep learning curve. Do you reccomand akai MPK 49 for logic if I do get into it?

4. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

Stick to Ableton. It is an incredible piece of software! You can virtually do anything you want in no time. Simply, you have to learn the approach. Once you manage to do so, nothing can stop you.

On the other hand, Logic may look easier but in the end it is far too complicated (and sometimes completely illogical, despite its name).

So my 2 cents, try to figure out how Ableton works, forget about Garage Band and Logic. You will be happy :)

PS: When I say you can do virtuall anything you want, I really mean it. I recorded/produce death metal as well as techno and pop-rock.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Basically the advice you will get on these on-line forums is "you should use what I use. I like it."

In orrder to get meaningful advice, you need to ask more specific questions.

On thing I like about Logic is that is uses "standard" Mac OS X GUI controls. It other words the buttons and text boxes, radio buttons and so on are real max OS X controls just like in any other program and you can re-size the windows, go full screen and so on and so on.

Most of the other software uses "lowest common denominator" GUI so that they don't have to re-write it for MS Windows and Mac. But the users suffer for that. Yes there are some exceptions here and there but mostly Logic is a real, native Mac OS X program, the others mostly aren't.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

I just downloaded Logic 9 from the App Store yesterday. Have been using GarageBand for awhile but wanted to go a little further. I played around with Reaper, and it seems powerful but I found it a little hard to get used to.

So far I have only spent a short while playing around with Logic, but I really like what I see. Have been using Apple's pro video apps (Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro) for many years so I feel right at home in Logic. I agree with ChrisA, Logic is what I would expect from a Mac program. And for me, the ability to open GarageBand files is a big plus since this gives me a starting point by opening an existing project and modifying it.

I have never used Abelton, so I have no frame of reference there. But since the OP's user name is "Final Cut", I suspect he would find Logic very... logical. :D

7. alq macrumors member

I've started back then with Logic 5.5 (if I remember correctly), switched to Mac, switched to Win, tried Cubase, Samplitude and finally switched back to Mac with Logic 7. Since then I tried to use Ableton Live beside Logic (remixing, etc.) but I just can't get used to the interface and how things work. I think I am already too long into Logic :D
    But maybe, who knows, if logic 10/X is like Final Cut X, then I'll never update or really have to look forward into something else (again).

alq.