Carrier Switch from AT&T to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lharvest, Sep 28, 2015.

1. lharvest macrumors regular

Currently have a family of four on an AT&T family plan and am interested in taking advantage of T-Mobile's 10GB for $140 plan. However; my wife and I just upgraded to the 6s. Would it make more sense to return the 6s' to AT&T and then move to T-Mobile or should we just rely on T-Mobile to pay the early termination fee and the cost associated with the new devices. Prior to upgrading, we were both out of contract on AT&T (in other words, we owned our old iPhones). Returning the devices will be the 'cleanest' way, but will create more work for us. Going the rebate route will require more up front expense, but would be less time consuming. Anyone have any experience with either returning devices to AT&T or having T-Mobile cover costs? We will ultimately save over $100 per month and get vastly more data per line. I understand T-Mobile coverage is not as good in some areas, but I checked the coverage map and I am satisfied.

2. lharvest thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, after reading other threads and researching it a bit more, the real savings aren't what I thought they'd be. Sorry if you wasted your time reading this.

3. Nancy bout macrumors regular

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I was going to suggest you try out T-Mobile yourself before switching permanently, but it seems you plan on staying now.

Why not look into Cricket after paying off your phones? They use AT&T's network (actually owned by AT&T) so you won't have to sacrifice coverage. They throttle at 8Mbps, but that's plenty for everything you'd need to do on a smartphone including streaming HD video.

You could get 4 lines with

2.5GB of data each for $100
    5GB of data each for $140
    10GB of data each for $180
    Unlimited data for $220

You could actually get 5 lines with the 2.5GB plan for the same price as 4 lines, but only the other plans come with data access in and unlimited calls to and from Mexico, Canada, and US.

5. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

I switched from AT&T in December and won't look back. The benefit of never having to be concerned with any line using up the idiotic "pool" of data from AT&T is a huge plus. The coverage has been just as good in 99% of the locations I care about (and it continues to get better). My speeds are much faster as well. And I'm saving money each month. We have 10 lines on our account now, each of us forking over $30/month for a 10GB plan.

Anywho, if you are even remotely interested I would return the phones to AT&T and start fresh.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn Nancy.
    You respond to his question a year later?
    Pointless to bring up an old dead thread like that.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Dammit! Posts need to be moderated when reviving such old threads.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Check the time stamps.

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Oh he knew damn well when replying that this was an old thread. ¬_¬