Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Safari has mysteriously switched from google as the search engine to Bing.
I check preferences and it says that google is default but, while i sometimes get a google results page flashed on the screen, it is immediately replace by a screen with Bing as the search engine and results.
I've quit safari and restarted it, but it continues to ignore whatever I have selected as the default search engine (I even tried to with to DuckDuckGo and that was ignored too).
Anyone know what's going on?

Safari v 12.0
MacOS 10.13.6

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Safari has mysteriously switched from google as the search engine to Bing.
I check preferences and it says that google is default but, while i sometimes get a google results page flashed on the screen, it is immediately replace by a screen with Bing as the search engine and results.
I've quit safari and restarted it, but it continues to ignore whatever I have selected as the default search engine (I even tried to with to DuckDuckGo and that was ignored too).
Anyone know what's going on?

Safari v 12.0
MacOS 10.13.6

Do you have any extensions? Also note that this forum is for Mojave (10.14).

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Yah, sorry about the High Sierra/Mojave mixup - I wasn't paying attention to the thread I was in.

I have extensions for 1Password and ABP enabled.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Uh, as I mentioned in the initial post, I tried DuckDuckGo too and Safari refuses to use it. No matter what I select it has decided Bing is to be used.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Uh, as I mentioned in the initial post, I tried DuckDuckGo too and Safari refuses to use it. No matter what I select it has decided Bing is to be used.

That's very strange then. Perhaps try deleting your safari preferences file and let it create a new one to see if that resolves the issue for you.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Damn. I've upgraded to Mojave and that didn't help.
Trashing all safari prefs didn't help
Looking for trovi didn't find anything

What do you suggest I look for in SysPrefs or Users& Groups? There are no strange users or groups and I use a mini server as a network account server (no issues on other computers).

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I suggested looking in Users & Groups login tab, as sometimes unexplained programs are loaded from there.

A quick test, also from Users & Groups. Create a new user, and from that login see if the problem persists. If not, then the issue is definitely something related to "your" user.

Another tool that may be of use is EtreCheck, which is free for a limited number of uses.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Good suggestion.

I had already looked for any funky startup items (there were none and no new ones).
I checked and it is limited to 'me', logging in as another user and search worked fine.

I downloaded EtreCheckPro and ran it. It found some files it thought might be AdWare. I deleted a number of them and it solved the problem.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.