iPhone XR Switch from Galaxy S9+ to iPhone XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ThatsMeRight, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Currently, I'm considering to go from a Galaxy S9+ to an iPhone XR.

In my eyes, the new iPhone XR is the first interesting iPhone model in years for a price that's not too high. Reasons for me to go back include:

- Better privacy features
    - Immediate roll out of software updates
    - New design where the big bezels are gone
    - Siri (it's much better integrated than Google Assistant, where I live)
    - Just the idea of something fresh and new (I've been using Android since mid-2016)

That said, I'll have to give up the OLED display and the dual camera system (I really love the 2x zoom). The camera system on the S9+ is really excellent. Going to LCD will be a step back, but from experience I know Apples LCDs are always excellent.

Now the biggest issue of all: I haven't seen the iPhone XR in person yet. There's a special deal with my carrier that makes this device just €576. That's a discount of €283 - or roughly $330. The deal ends this week. But I'm unable to view the device until later next week, so I'll have to order it online this week.

The question is: should I jump in or not? I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm also having a hard time deciding a colour (leaning towards red or white).

So I would like your advice. Everybody's advice is welcome, but preferably I also want some advice from those who went from Android to iPhone recently.

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

You think Siri is better than Google Assistant?

Laughable suggestion.

3. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

In my language it is ;)

4. bt311 macrumors member

Why not. Try it out and see. S9+ is an excellent phone but there are so many Samsung phones flooding the market and you will have a chance to pick one up again, or choose a future Samsung phone at a lower price point than what XR will command.

But try the XR out in person first. You may or may not think the bezels are too fat.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The phone is fine. The bezel "problem" is subjective and only really noticeable compared side-by-side with other phones.

iOS I think is pretty well designed. I have family that have used Android and iOS, and I think all of them choose iOS because it's easier to use. Android can get confusing with all the different skins going around.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re right, the only thing I really want from android is Google assistant, which is really intuitive and in-depth enough where it’s much more accurate with dictation and deciphering, and that’s where Siri struggles. Siri has a lot of potential to be better, but with iOS, that’s obviously the only option unless you use Google assistant as a third-party app.