Switch from Gmail to iCloud Mail?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by HungarianStan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. HungarianStan macrumors member

Like the title says, has anyone here switch from Gmail to iCloud Mail (in other words, switch from using a Gmail address to using an iCloud address)? If so, why did you do so? What's the experience like? Do you miss anything?

I'm asking because, of course, I'm thinking of doing so. Mostly because I've got two Gmail addresses (down from four) and I'm not sure WHY I have those addresses. I also have this vague notion of not letting Google see my email info anymore (though I have plenty of blockers for when I do view Gmail in the browser client). That's another thing though; I almost never use the browser client for Gmail. I see my emails through the Mac and iPad Mail app, so, don't really care about the Gmail interface. I don't really use the collaborative functions of Google Docs and Google Sheets (though I guess I could hang on to a one of those addresses just in case).

So, yeah...what has been folks' experience with using iCloud as their main email address, and forgoing Gmail?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have account with both and have moved to iCloud as my primary email and don't miss anything from Gmail. I always found the Gmail concept of tags rather than folders odd. I just forward my Gmail account to iCloud now.

It is easy to switch if you already have Gmail setup in the OS X Mail app. Just setup the iCloud account and make whatever folders you want then drag and drop the messages from the Gmail folders to whatever iCloud folder you want.

3. brandscill macrumors 6502

I switched because I could get the email address I wanted as well as better integration across my other devices. I also got tired of adverts being all over the service. Also useful as sometimes work could require travel to China and iCloud mail will continue to work there.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Interesting... so Gmail is just completely blocked in China? I did not know that.

5. amr7 macrumors newbie

I have Gmail, Outlook, and iCloud email addresses.

I prefer to Gmail out of all three of them. I find it faster to send/receive but mostly I am just use to Gmail. Not counting work I really don't use email for much except receiving bills, shipping confirmations, etc so my needs are very basic. Even though I prefer Gmail I could use iCloud as my primary (or only for that matter) email address.

6. brandscill macrumors 6502

Nearly all google services are. My friends android phone is rendered useless each time he visits

7. exi macrumors 6502

No new posts in a couple weeks, I see, but just for the conversation: iCloud has, and continues to have, issues with silent filtering as a result of overly-conservative server-side filtering.

This is detailed in multiple threads here and has been covered by various tech sites over the years. There is an excellent Reddit discussion here -- https://np.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2tmf7g/i_was_a_victime_of_icloud_mails_censorship/ -- in which a former iCloud engineer chimes in.

I say this because I switched from Gmail to iCloud a long time ago and have been debating switching back for awhile on account of reliability issues like this.

8. TwoBytes, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I was debating the same. Nice find exi. That made me a bit worried some important emails will never ever get to you because of the apple blocking.

Has anyone else experienced doing the same - moving from their current email provider to iCloud? Any regrets or thoughts?
    Can you still create alias's in icloud?

9. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

I agree with you. I moved to iCloud a couple of years ago from Gmail, don't miss it at all. My Gmail account just collects spam now.