Switch from Linux - need tweak advices

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petr.sigut, Apr 5, 2012.

1. petr.sigut macrumors newbie

Hi to Apple community!

I've been using Linux for 10 years and now I need to use Mac because one iOS project, I like new thinks so this is not problem for me.

I get used to new workflow on OS X (Lion), but still there are some things I need to change. I would be glad if you can help me:

1. Replace Dock with something showing application/instance titlebar. I lunch apps using Spotlight, so Dock is small thing with just few icons at the bottom - I would like to stretch it all over the bottom and show application names. Because now if I want to switch to XCode instance or just see Firefox Downloads percentage, etc, I have to click do right click etc...

2. Fullscreen apps are given special workspace - can I disable it? I use shortcuts to switch to workspaces - ctrl-1 firefox, ctrl-2 xcode, ctrl-3... I want to have Xcode fullscreen but still be able to switch on it with shortcut of the workspace.

3. Some Midnight Commander/Total Commander replacement. I do not need all the features, at most I like ForkLift2 but I would need better file replacement dialog if I copy/move files ("replace only files which differ in size"). I tried ForkLift2, PathFinder, XFolders, Disk Order.

Any other tips?

(4. can I get rid off the startup sound?:) I tried StartupSound pref but it stopped to work)

Thank you!
    Petr

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Don't know if anything exactly like what you are asking for. You should probably learn to use mission control. Before Lion, there was expose which was really nice, so apple decided to nix it in favor of mission control which is not nearly as nice. Also, don't forget about cmd-tab for switching apps. I've never used it, but lots of folks swear by quicksilver.

The fullscreen implementation is atrocious, especially with multiple monitors. I have given up on using it.

You can get midnight commander was well as many utilities you are accustomed to from your linux days via macports or fink. I have switched to macports. Fink is faster because it distributes binaries. Macports is slower because it downloads source and recompiles everything, but their repository tends to me more up to date.

Also, since you come from Linux, I assume you are not afraid of the command line - sounds like rsync would do what you want. Carbon Copy Cloner is a backup tool you might check out which is just a pretty front-end for rsync.

That's been asked here a lot. The only way I know of is to turn the volume down all the way before you shut down or reboot.

3. petr.sigut thread starter macrumors newbie

>Also, don't forget about cmd-tab for switching apps. I've never used it, >but lots of folks swear by quicksilver.
    Quicksilver seems to be too big and different for me needs... I am trying to use some kind of expose binded to my 4th mouse button...

>The fullscreen implementation is atrocious, especially with multiple >monitors. I have given up on using it.
    In addition it works only for some windows (supported app)... they have some quite nice concepts but they kill it or cripple half on the way...

>You can get midnight commander was well as many utilities you are >accustomed to from your linux days via macports or fink.
    I did not know about Fink, they do not have binary for Lion yet, I will wait. I really love MC but I would like to have system-wide bindings... now I am using muCommander, it is quite slow sometimes but more or less can do the basics I need.

>That's been asked here a lot. The only way I know of is to turn the >volume down all the way before you shut down or reboot.
    I saw it can be hacked in some startup files, I hope for some nice GUI:) I will search it...

Thank you