Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Everything looked great up until the video card. Sure, you can put a new one in there but what is the power supply rated at? If it doesn't have enough power, then you'll have to change that out as well. As for the memory, the best way to do it before was to match your memory speed to the fsb speed. The problem now is that nehalem got rid of fsb (front side bus) completely. I shouldn't say "problem" but I'm just not too sure about what you can use now.

The biggest bottleneck will be the video card. You can always upgrade the memory as it becomes cheaper or you feel like it. Pushing 1920x1200 for games on that card might not be up to your standards. You'll probably have to lower some settings I'm sure. Great setup though. Try it out, see if you like it and go from there. You might be fine with it. The 4870 ati got good reviews and is supposed to be cheaper so you can always get that in like 6 months even cheaper.

See, my big problem is that I know dangerously little about computer components, upgrading, etc. I know really basic things, enough to buy one semi-impulsively like this, but not enough to know how everything fits together, and what limitations certain components might bring to my system. I also have a lot of different friends telling me different things, so its hard to make a firm decision on something.

As for the video card, it came with the package, and the next upgrade was like $150 more. I figured I would just sell the card that comes with it for whatever its worth, and get a better card to throw in there.

I guess the way I see it is that after gaming on this iMac for so long, which has been good, but not great, I am just happy to upgrade to a reasonably recent gaming rig.

Oh, and, not to rip on my own thread, but hasn't this gone a little off-topic? :p

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
If you were unsure about components, there are forums out there where people would have literally pieced together the best computer for your budget. There are tutorials out there that can tell you how to build a computer.

The other guy is right. The Power Supply Unit will need to be replaced if you want to put in a powerful video card. Dell and other companies generally give you powerful enough Power Supplies to upgrade things like your memory and adding a new hard drive, but nothing major like a video card upgrade.

So if you know how to install a video card and memory, that's 90% of the battle. The power supply connections are pretty easy, everything can only go into one place, and a good tutorial can really help you. The CPU comes with installation instructions, and it's ridiculously easy to install. The biggest "challenge" is the heat sink, which depending on their design, it can be pretty difficult to get on. Not from a technical stand point, but from a muscle stand point. It almost feels like you're going to break your motherboard with some of the designs.

But it's all really easy.

Since you got this Dell, if you need to upgrade the PSU (power supply unit), you really didn't dodge that bullet. Not only that, Dell uses non-standard PSUs. Fortunately, a company called PC Power and Cooling (I think Corsair now owns them) makes Dell PSUs. So do keep that in mind if you plan to upgrade to like a ATi 4850 or 4870 or higher. Also, if you plan to just rely on the wattage to know if your power supply can handle the video card, that's pretty much ALWAYS a bad idea.

Power Supplies have 3.3V, 5V and 12V power rails. Most of your main components draws power from the 12V power rails, such as your CPU and video card. So, many places list the required amperage on the 12V rail (should be listed) for that video card. Not all brands do, so if you go to a place like Newegg, you can generally find a video card made by a brand (like ATi brand, Sapphire, I think ASUS now makes ATi video card, and a few others) and pretty much one of them will list the required amperage on the 12V rail (you don't have to buy that video card, if the required amperage for that video card is true for that video card, it's true for all in the same brand, for the most part).

And to the people who keep asking why he didn't just get a PS3 or a XBox 360. It's personal preference. Also, not every PC game is out for the PS3 or 360, like Crysis and a lot of other games (like Counter Strike Source).

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
if you spend 90% of the time gaming in bootcamp then get a windows computer. once you grow out of games then go back to a mac. simple as that.

"Grow out of games"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

At any rate, I like the suggestion of buying/building a Windows PC, and then if you really want to use OS X for other things, getting a lower end OS X system. (Heck, a Mac Mini would be cheapish and could sit near or on top of the Windows system).

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
This sounds like a co-dependent relationship.

You want to stay with her (Apple), but she isn't really providing for your needs anymore.

I laughed at Macs for years, but became a convert about a year ago. For my needs, Macs are better machines than a Windows box. So I switched. If windows meets your needs better, you should do the same. JMO.

I really wish Apple would branch out and meet the more common persons needs, I'd buy one or even maybe two more, but that isn't their current business model, so I'll stick to linux for those needs. :(

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
...but a Mac Pro is like 3 times as much as the PC equivalent I built on newegg.

Umm, I don't think you did your homework quite right. Unless you built a newegg system with, at least, a dual socket mobo and a couple of quad xeons you aren't really making an accurate A-B comparison.

However, you seem to have hit a spot where there is a gaping hole in the Apple line; there is no single socket, quad core rig available. From the imac you have to make a ginormus leap to the mac pro.

If you are looking for a computer at that level then I totally agree with you. You will not be able to buy an Apple for the same price/performance as a custom built, single socket, quadzilla machine.

Sorry, Apple. It is what it is. If you don't like it then fill the gaping hole with a viable machine.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, you summed it up perfectly. They've got a gigantic hole in their lineup and have for years.

I don't actually think the Mac Pro is a bad deal considering you're getting TWO quad core Penryns and an otherwise modern system, but probably for most people a single quad core would be fine.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
A Mac Pro cannot be built or bought cheaper, trust us on it.

There is a gap in the product line, but its no where near as big as people make it out to be. Consumers want iMacs, Professionals want Mac Pro's, thats it. The only people dissatisfied are the geeks on here who want a Mini Tower, to tinker with and add extra hard drives and graphics cards, and I'm afraid you are a virtually non existent market.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006

There is a gap in the product line, but its no where near as big as people make it out to be. Consumers want iMacs, Professionals want Mac Pro's, thats it. The only people dissatisfied are the geeks on here who want a Mini Tower, to tinker with and add extra hard drives and graphics cards, and I'm afraid you are a virtually non existent market.

That's not it and it has never been it. There are plenty of people who want a powerful, upgradeable system, but want to spend $500-2000 for it, which is a market Apple totally ignores and has for years.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

I went to newegg and built one for about 200 bucks less than a Mac Pro. Granted, at the cost a Mac Pro, it's not a huge difference, but a difference none the less.

The only people dissatisfied are the geeks on here who want a Mini Tower, to tinker with and add extra hard drives and graphics cards, and I'm afraid you are a virtually non existent market.

It's a larger market then you're aware of. Steam has some 16 million accounts. Most of those people play Source games (the engine HL2 uses, released in 2004 IIRC) and above. Most of the players will have computers that have at least a video card upgrade (maybe not anything powerful, but a 50-75 dollar video card). They may not be do-it-yourselfers either, but rather people who buy a 600-700 dollar Dell and slap a video card in it. The market is there. There is a reason why companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, ect make computers that appeal to people who want computers that can do more than browse the Internet, and computers where you can easily upgrade the hard drive, RAM and video card.

I really think Apple has underestimated the market you think is virtually non-existant. And the people who want those types of capabilities aren't "geeks." It's not 1990 (and seriously, wtf is up with using that term?). Being able to upgrade a computer isn't something that a "geek" only knows how to do. Common specifications (like DDR, DDR2, DDR3, PCI, PCI Express, AGP, ATX, ect) have all made the upgrade process much easier.

Heck, my college made Engineers take a class where we had to disassemble and re-assemble a computer (it was only one day). People who had never opened up a computer were getting hands on experience. There are easy to follow walkthroughs on the Internet to do this stuff.

MrChurchyard

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
"Grow out of games"? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I suppose that just means that gaming doesn't do anything for you besides being fun. That's time where you could be learning something new, be social and spend time with friends or girlfriend, improving some skills, being creative, working out, get some things done, discover music, meet new people, have some real-life adventure :)

But, gaming is fun and, to the OP, yes switch to a Windows machine by all means by your OS usage patterns. It would be foolish to buy a Mac Pro as a gaming rig and an iMac simply doesn't cut it. The rig you have described could use a better video card, though. If you need to slash costs for a gaming PC somewhere, don't do it on the video card!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I suppose that just means that gaming doesn't do anything for you besides being fun. That's time where you could be learning something new, be social and spend time with friends or girlfriend, improving some skills, being creative, working out, get some things done, discover music, meet new people, have some real-life adventure :)

Oh give me a break :mad: That is such an asinine, condescending attitude. I suppose I should be more diplomatic about how I say that, but that's just abusrd. You don't "grow out of gaming" any more than you "grow out of reading a book" or "grow out of watching films".
Not to mention many of those things can be part of gaming anyway.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I have a daughter, and you don't 'grow out' of hobbies.

I don't appreciate when gaming is somehow being treated as different from other forms of entertainment, which is the tone I hear from (usually older, but sometimes just others who don't game) people. No different than if someone said I was going to 'grow out' of reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.