Switch from Macbook pro to macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anton-Anton, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Anton-Anton macrumors newbie

Hi macrumors.
    Right now i have a 15" 2,4 ghz macbook pro 4.1 (non unibody) with the geforce 8600GT and 4gb ram,
    When i bought it, i choosed it because at that time i liked to play games, so i needed af good graphics card.
    But now, i never use my mbp for gaming, cause i have a xbox 360.
    So ive considere selling it, and buy one of the 13" unibodys, cause i want more mobility.
    Maybe i should say that i will be able to sell my 15" MBP for the same price as a new 13" mbp. (which i dont think should be named pro)

So before sell and buy i have a few questions.

1: The ipod offer just ended, is that because the mbp's are updated in a few months?

2: One thing that i dont like on the 13" is the glare sceen. Can you recommend a screen protector that removes some of the glare?

3: I make som podcasts at home, so the combined in/out jack connector could be a problem. I have this splitter: Click! can i plug that in, and then use headphones and a microphone at the same time?

4: In everyday use, would i feel the 13" mbp slower than my 15" macbook pro??

5: Is the 2.53ghz worth the money? compared to a 2.26ghz i'll upgrade to 4gb ram and 3200gb harddrive myself?

Thanks in advance

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

1. The ipod offer probobly ended because it's their trick to sell out their warehouses before the upcoming event which seems to be an "iPod event".

3. I suggest getting an external soundcard if you are doing something more serious.

4. Most likely not.

5. No, I got the 2.26 Ghz and would do it again if I got the choice.

3. Anton-Anton thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. About the sound thing. I think a external soundcard is a bit overkill for my small tutorials, skype and podcasts.
    Does anone know if i can use the splitter, and then connect headset and microphone at the same time?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Probably not, since the audio signal is combined. You can't send more than 1 signal at a certain given time. I would get a refurbished 15" uMBP. It's better than any 13".

5. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if that adapter is a headphone splitter then it will not work but if it splits it into headphone and microphone it will. From the looks of the rings on the jack it looks like its only headphones and will not work. A headphone and microphone one should have 3 colored rings

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

No. won't work.

Easiest solution if you have to have a 13" mbp, is to buy a USB external Sound Blaster Live from ebay or something. They're cheap, and they have all the various inputs and outputs. No, that isn't overkill for what you've described. Heck, a $60 usb sound blaster isn't overkill for anything, really.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I recommend the Griffin iMic for this audio solution

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

4: In everyday use, would i feel the 13" mbp slower than my 15" macbook pro??

5: Is the 2.53ghz worth the money? compared to a 2.26ghz i'll upgrade to 4gb ram and 3200gb harddrive myself?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I think you would be hard pressed to get $1300 out of your machine. Probably $1100..

My brother bought a 13" 2.53GHZ machine, and it seems fast. The 2.53 machines come with 4GBs, at least his does. The ipod deal ended because it was a back to school deal, that happens every summer. In the winter, they usually have a free printer, at least they have the last few years.

I wouldn't pay for the upgraded HD, just because you can get an HD for pretty cheap now a days, and you can also just buy an enclosure and have an internal and an external HD for a little more than the upgrade option from Apple.

9. Anton-Anton thread starter macrumors newbie

here in denmark, macs are alot more expensive than in the US. and the resale value is really high. Unfortunately, i just missed the back to school, so i'll probably wait to see if they upgrade the mbps in november, or if a new offer comes up.

What about the glare on the 13" i've heard about some covers which remove some of the glare?

10. macboy4 macrumors regular

You could get one of those iPhone adapters with the microphone that allows you to use non-Apple headphones, but still handle phone calls.

Not too sure what the quality will be.