Switch from octo macpro to imac i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FSBW21086, Nov 17, 2011.

1. FSBW21086 macrumors member

Currently have 2.8ghz quad x2 macpro with velociraptor boot drive and 5 other hds. Recently been thinking of selling the macpro on fleabay and trading up for a 27 inch imac i7 with 16gb ram. I can live with trading up my hard drives for one larger external drive.

Really thinking of trading up primarily for the 27 inch screen to match with my 23 inch ACD.

My only concern is longevity. This macpro doesn't hesitate and will work for years to come. It's quite and solid. I recently replaced two imac hard drives in customers computers. (one alum 2008 one plastic 2005) and am concerned with how hot they run. Maybe imac with SSD?

Does anyone think I will be disappointed with speed vs macpro? thoughts?

2. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Cant comment on the speed comparison (I've only used iMac not MacPro) but I can say this;

My fully spec'd 27" iMac is virtually silent and definately has an Uber quality/robust feel to it (Weighs a ton lol).

Apple quote the max RAM for the iMac is 16Gb but I have read that in reality it can take 32Gb. Would this aide speed aspect of things. I have the 256Gb SSD installed and everything I do is instant.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Is this your model? Mac Pro (Early 2008) Intel Xeon E5462 2.8 GHz (8 cores)?

Geekbench (64 bit) : 10618

iMac 3.4 i7: 12575

Now this is a synthetic benchmark of CPU and memory, but it's a good relative indicator. What it does not show is how much the heat in the iMac affects it when doing heavy duty work over extended periods of time versus your Mac Pro.

When the CPU gets too hot it will throttle itself down so the speed advantage may not be as great as the benchmarks suggest. The iMac will definitely be louder in comparison, due to the fans, if you're using it for more than browsing the web or reading email.