Switch from Verizon. Want to test AT&T network first.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impact_blue, Jun 27, 2008.

1. impact_blue macrumors regular

Ok say I want to switch to AT&T for the iphone and open a new phone number, keeping my Verizon phone # alive, in order to test the network in my area along where I travel could I port my Verizon # in the future if I'm sold?

I'm afraid that if I get the iphone, immediately port my number to AT&T, and come to find out that AT&T's service isn't up to par with were I travel and live that I can't go back to Verizon with my OG number.

:confused:

2. iPaul macrumors regular

i am in the same boat...just going to make the switch and hope for the best. i know people who have at&t and i asked them about their coverage (they claim it is good)

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Go to an AT&T store and talk to the clerks. A few years ago when I switched we got a couple phones for a weekend to go visit my inlaws to make sure that coverage was there. They had a return window of something like 7 days. Pick a time when you'll travel your route and ask the clerk which phones (preferably the freebie ones) have the best reception to check coverage. Assuming they still have the 7 day return window you can try out the phone and return it within a few days to check the network and you shouldn't run into any trouble if you want to get the iPhone.

Be honest with the AT&T store employees from the start. The worst they can tell you is, "no, you can't do that."

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you get 30 days to return a phone if you don't like it and they will refund your money and cancel the contract, one thing i would make sure to tell them is that you are planning to port a number at a later date, then they will give you a temporary number and note it in your account.

5. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

you have 3 days to cancel w/ no charges, after that you are resposible for the usage youve accumulated in the month, but yes within 30 days u can cancel w/o payin ETF charges.

6. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Would you still be elgible for the Iphone discount?

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

That would be what I would want to know. Suddenly they tell you "sorry, you arent eligible for an upgrade."

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

You should be able to port your number to AT&T, and if it doesn't work out, port back to Verizon.

Like others have said, if it doesn't work out, and you cancel AT&T within 3 days, you don't have to pay the activation charge or any prorated monthly charges.

If you cancel after day 3 but before day 30, you have to pay the activation fee and however many days of your monthly service you used.

If you want to check AT&T's service before the iPhone comes out, consider getting one of their pre-paid "Go Phones". You can pick them up at Walmart and places like that, in addition to an AT&T store. Otherwise, if you sign up for a contract and get one of their "free phones", chances are you won't be eligible to turn around a week or two later and get the iPhone for the $199/$299 pricetag.

This was already mentioned too, but you don't have to port your number over right away. You can get an iPhone with a new AT&T phone number, and when you're confident AT&T works for you, you can have AT&T port your Verizon number over. During that time, you can call forward your Verizon phone to your AT&T phone, so you don't have to hassle your friends with a new, temporary phone number.

9. ski2moro macrumors 6502

If you need to go back to Verizon, I don't think you will have a problem.

About 3 days after I switched from Verizon to ATT, a Verizon rep called me and offered me some things to make me come back.

1. I could bring my number back to Verizon, and they would take care of all switching for me.
    2. As an incentive to return to Verizon, she offered me 2 free phones (for my 2 family share accounts)
    3. Then she offered me a couple of free months of Verizon service if I would come back.

She wanted to know why I switched after 10 years with Verizon. She wanted to know why I switched to ATT. One word iPhone. She tried to convince me that Verizon's phone was better, but I told her that I had been to the store and tried it for myself. She said that it sounded like my mind was made up and nothing would make me come back to Verizon. I said, not until an iPhone works on the Verizon network. She thanked me for my time.

I have been an AT&T customer ever since. I bought a Sony Ericson W580i as an interim phone until the 3G iPhone was released.

I called AT&T customer service yesterday and was told that there would be no problem switching to an iPhone. I have only had my AT&T account for 3 months. No ELIGIBILITY PROBLEMS.

She said that there was only the sales price $199 for the 8 GB and $299 for the 16 GB. There is no subsidy for anyone at this time. $199/$299 is the full price of the phone for new customers or upgrades. There is no problem for everyone to update to the iphone, regardless of eligibility. The price is the price for everyone.

I know this is contrary to what I have read on here, but this is from AT&T's customer service phone line as of June 26. I asked specifically and several times, but she was adamant that there would be no problems at all with me getting an iPhone.

She also told me that if my primary phone line was the iphone, no corporate discounts will apply. If my primary line was not an iphone, I could keep the corporate discount I currently qualify for. She switched my second line to be the primary line in preparation for buying an iphone. My iphone will be charged at the rate for a second phone on a family plan. I will still have to pay for the iphone internet package of 200 text messages and unlimited internet.

I hope you can get AT&T reception well enough for an iPhone.

10. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

Hope so too. I've been with Verizon for over 8 years now and I'm sure they'll try to lure me back or prevent me from switching.

Thanks everyone for the their responses. Very insightful. :)

11. iP2 macrumors member

I switched to ATT from Verizon in March/April for the same reason(s)...to test ATT coverage where I go w/ a freebie Samsung. Since it passed w/ flying colors, I ported over and waited patiently for the 3G iPhone.

Of course now I may be screwed because I already got a subsidized phone from ATT. That part sucks...but hopefully the rumors hold true that everybody gets it for the same price.

Otherwise, I'm prepared to drop $400-500 for it (that was what I thought I had to pay anyway just like v1.0).

Oh, I've been w/ Verizon for 10+ years prior to the switch. They didn't offer me jack squat to stay or even come back. I did get alot of flyers in the mail showing off the new Voyager. Yea, that would do it. :eek:

12. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

are u asking if you buy a cheap phone first, then get the iphone later if u like att service, can u get the advertised price?? if thats the case u have 30 days to return that cheap phone and exchange it for another, so yes, u could get the discounted pricing.

13. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

lol that IS the subsidized price, and you DO have to be eligable for it... she doenst know what shes talking about, she is confused and thinking its the same way with iphone 3G as the first iphone, but its not. but i guess jus ask for a manager to override it since she said that, theyll do it for her since she said that lol.

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

Ah, that's cool. I forgot that you can return/exchange devices in the first 30 days. Cool beans. :eek:

15. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I'm so certain that I am right, based on my conversation with the AT&T Rep. She knew the difference between the iPhone and the 3G iPhone plans. She said there was NO subsidized pricing per se. Everyone gets the 8 gb for $199 and everyone gets a 16 gb for $299 as long as they sign a 2 year contract AND qualify for service. Not qualify for an upgrade, qualify for service. (Meaning no bad credit, no minors, and so forth.)

Let's talk on July 11. I bet you that I have the 16 GB Black for $299, just like everyone else can get (with an account in good standing) and by signing a new 2 year contract. No managerial intervention needed.

If you have proof to the contrary, as you claim to work for AT&T, post your "insider" materials for all to see. Proof of subsidy pricing? Proof that AT&T refuses to sell the iPhone to existing customers who are not eligible for an upgrade? Proof of the first day sales policy?

I have seen lots of speculation and whining on this rumor site, but no conclusive evidence to refute what the AT&T rep said to me. Until I see that, I'll choose to believe the AT&T rep I spoke to. You can believe what you want.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

There's no conclusive evidence for either side, other than AT&T spokes people who know that they're speaking to the media saying that the costs for ineligible upgrades hadn't been determined yet.