Switch from Windows.... how do I publish photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stokes, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I'm still feeling very new to the Apple, and like what I have so far.

Unfortunately, I've no friends that use Apple products, so I can't sit down with anyone and get this stuff figured out.

I'm feeling a bit stuck, and would sure like to have some insights.

Currently, much of my online life revolves around bulletin boards, usually using UBB Code. When I was a Windows guy, I could manipulate my photos, upload them to PhotoBucket with one move, and then have PhotoBucket generate cut and paste UBB codes to insert into my posts on forums. This is how I'd share my photos online.

I've finally figured out how to get photos off my camera into iPhoto. I'm still nto good at manipulating them, and would love to find a bulk 'crop' tool.
    Moreover, I want to bulk upload to .Mac

I just started a trial session of .Mac. I can't figure out how to host these photos in a fashion that makes it so I can use their addresses to insert into UBB Forums.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Even if you tell me that I need to go back to using my Windows based machine and PhotoBucket, but I'd much rather use my MacBook and .Mac

Thanks!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Uh? Did you even read the post? Look... I think the failboat is here to pick you up.

*ahem*

Alright, if you're working with iPhoto and .Mac, this should be a snap. Just create a photo gallery with iPhoto and .Mac (if you want to make it fancy, you can use iWeb to fancy-ize the gallery). Once the gallery is done, if you want to share your image, simply open up your gallery in Safari, open an image, then right-click it and click "copy image address". You can then go to the forum, then simply type in a new post, [ img ], then hit Apple+v, then type [ /img ], and hit "Submit"!

As for mass-cropping, this gets a little complicated. You can use Automator to automatically crop all images in a folder easily, but with the way iPhoto manages your photos, you can't do that easily. I've never used Automator, so I have no idea if it's integrated with iPhoto or not.

With all of that said, you can use Photobucket on a Mac, you know?

3. Stokes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Rav,
    I was hoping to make a total transition to all things Mac, thus trying to use .Mac for my photohosting. But, if it's not as easy to do as using PhotoBucket, I'll just continue to use them.

I sure liked Microsofts web publisher.... it integrated well with Photobucket for bulk uploading.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

iPhoto does batch uploading to .Mac. So it might be just as easy, if not easier.

Play around with iPhoto and .Mac (you should see "Publish Web Gallery" in iPhoto, just click that)

See how you like things. But PhotoBucket is free, and .Mac is $100.

A couple ways you can easily batch upload pictures to PhotoBucket is using the Flock browser, or the ImageBot extension for FireFox.