Switch graphics card to stop kernel panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spon1080, Dec 13, 2015.

1. spon1080 macrumors newbie

My MBP mid 2010 i5 has been randomly restarting and the Apple repair centre say's the graphics card that's playing up and want to charge me 750€ for a new motherboard. However this machine has graphics cards switching between internal Intel and Nvideo HD. If I block switching so it only uses the Nvideo graphics will it cure the problem?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@spon1080:
    Yeah, that is possible (at least on my Early-2011 MBP, which has a similar issue). Switch the cards immediately after each restart (via gfxCardStatus)!

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I highly doubt that will do you any good at all, it is far more likely to be the NVIDIA card that is the issue not the integrated intel one.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am currently using a Mid 2010 model with a graphics card problem (my 2011 is on its last legs) and using gfxCardStatus has been really great. Yeah, you pretty much have to deal with switching to the integrated card whenever you restart, but the way around that is just to sleep the machine instead. There are also some websites which will make it flip the dynamic switching on, as well as apps when you open or close them, but just catch them as it happens and switch it back and you'll be alright.

It doesn't fix the problem, but it's easy to live with if you're not doing anything heavy, and will give you time to get some money to get a new machine when you can. I've been dealing with it since September now, can live with it when it means I at least have a laptop with an intact screen and keyboard, heh.

Just remember to save your work frequently, which you should be doing anyway. ;)

5. spon1080 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spon1080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes quite correct. got it back from the service centre this morning and they confirmed it was the Nvidia card at fault. Have now installed gfx software and now seems to be working perfectly with the intel card. Thanks everyone for the great advice!

7. spon1080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed - Cheers!