Switch motherboards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mknabster, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

I know this is a crazy question, but I would love to get my hands on an i7 and the new Nvidia cards on my older 2008 MBP. Now i know the processor and graphics card can't be taken out, but could i replace the whole motherboard, like would it fit in my casing? I know it would void the warranty, which is out already anyways on my model.

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If you're REALLY handy with casemods, it's theoretically possible that you could eventually rig up the older case to fit the newer motherboard. You'd have to do some serious advance planning, probably cut a lot of new holes (and fill in old ones), and find some way to securely mount the new mobo in the case. You'd also have to hope that the older screen would work with the newer mobo, too, which is hardly a sure thing.

If you're talking about just taking one motherboard out and putting in the other one, you'd have some problems on your hands. Even if you could somehow get it to fit (doubtful given the difference in battery/optical drive placement), none of the ports would be in the correct place. The new model even has some ports that don't exist on the old one (Mini DisplayPort).

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

O yea, i didn't think of that display port. Would my current mboard accept a new Nvidia card that has a DVI on it? Or is that not possible

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The graphics chip is soldered to the logic board, so I wouldn't get your hopes up :(

5. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Darn that stinks, o well, i do like my machine, though I do envy the new ones out.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The only things truly upgradeable in a laptop is the RAM and hard drive, the rest is just soldered onto one big board. You'd end up spending more money getting this to work than simply buying an off the shelf one.

7. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

8. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

yea, i'll be upgrading my hard drive very soon. I can't believe they came out with a 512 SSD, but i think i'll wait for that price to even think about it. I'l be getting the Seagate 500GB 7200rpm drive, unless there's a bigger and faster one out there that I don't know about.