Switch Now or Wait 6 months?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jday7757, Nov 21, 2014.

  1. jday7757, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

    jday7757 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    #1
    I'm a long-time PC user who has decided to switch to a retina iMac with upgraded cpu, gnu, and RAM (after market). I don't consider myself a power user but do regularly use the adobe creative cloud suite (especially Premiere Pro and some After Effects). I only do HD, not any 4k. My current PC is one i personally built for video editing and still does a great job (Haswell I7 4770K, 32gb RAM, 3gb nVidia you,etc). So, I don't need to upgrade immediately, but I want to move completely to Apple products (have been using iPads and iPhones for several years) because of the great new features between Yosemite and iOS 8. My only concern about pulling the trigger on the purchase now are the problems I've been reading about with respect to Yosemite. I imagine these issues should be corrected by software updates in the near future. However, I guess there's a slight possibility that this initial version of the retina iMac might be slightly underpowered for the retina display and that waiting for the next model might be smarter.

    If you can't tell, I'm anxious to make this transition, but don't want to be stupid about it since I currently have a perfectly good working system. I know this will eventually come down to my personal choice, but would like opinions specially on whether or not it' smart to wait to see if software updates fix the current issues. Thanks for any opinion.
     
  2. iczster macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2014
    #2
    I've pulled the trigger and mines just been shipped. In pretty much the same boat as you, I've got a perfectly good gaming rig (I don't use for games anymore) and a fairly high spec.

    Had a retina macbook for a couple of years and love it, so will be fully OSX on everything when the RiMac arrives.

    Banged in apple care for some reassurance and living the dream. It's more exciting this way.

    Whatever you choose to do just feel comfortable with it.
     
  3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #3
    First, every single piece of software or hardware ever generated has resulted in much hand wringing by both purchasers and lurkers on forums like these. Bazillions of people are using Yosemite with no issues. Geez, I ran it on a hackintosh. Even in beta. No reason to wait in that regard; on a few (very few) occasions a whole general release of software has been a turkey, I suppose, but even still it would be noticed by now. And even then it's usually an issue with older stuff, not the new machines. Especially with Apple, since they're selling hardware, not so much software.

    I upgraded from a 4770 as well to an riMac. So speeds aren't that much faster (BTW if you don't have an SSD then read no further and upgrade now; I assume you have one though). But while I don't always need speed, I'm always (hours and hours a day) staring at a screen. So that's FAR more important to me. YMMV.

    But there is no reason to wait because of issues with Yosemite. And having bought decades worth of Macs, the number of problems seem even more minimal than usual, both with hardware AND software.
     
  4. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    #4
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am currently using an ssd and will definitely go with one in the iMac. Let me say, I do understand that forums are where most people go when they have a problem so there is going to be a disproportionate number of posts concerning "issues." That said, I didnotice that one of the main, recurring complaints was concerning non-reliable wi-fi with Yosemite. That will not be an issue for me since the iMac will be connected via Ethernet to my network. I also believe the few posts I saw that said the cpu was not powerful enough to drive the retina display were probably using the base configuration and had other compounding issues. So, I think I can convince myself I need it now. Of course, now is still probably at least 3-4 weeks with the current delays. This will be my first Apple desktop since my Apple IIe and Apple II-GS, if you can even remember them.
     
  5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

    rkaufmann87

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Folsom, CA
    #5
    When you go to a help site, all you will hear about are problems. Remember that is essentially exactly what this and other similar forums are. So it's kind of like going to the hospital to see how the general population is feeling.

    Millions have moved to Yosemite and are extremely happy, for those that aren't in most cases the problems they are experiencing begin between their desk and the back of the chair.
     
  6. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    #6
    Rkaufman, thanks and I agree and in my second post (just above yours) I mention the fact. I've pretty much made up my mind to not wait and just satisfy my lust.
     
  7. Gator Bob, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

    Gator Bob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    #7
    I am waiting a few months for a next generation processor and better GPU for the same price as today's rushed-to-market old technology. Yosemite has been just fine on my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro, which works great with a 4K Dell 2414 display, even at 30Hz.
     
  8. fathergll macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    #8
    If you were using this for serious work then you would probably be a fool to make a drastic switch with brand new OS and cutting edge tech. But you're not so it really doesn't matter.
     
  9. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    #9
    Fathergll, I don't disagree with you. My video editing is limited to our church's weekly services and a few small annual projects for a missionary friend. I also intend to keep my PC setup up and operational until I'm completely switched over and comfortable. I hadn't switched before because if my investment in Adobe Creative Suite (both militarily and experience wise), but now that I've upgraded to the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, there is no cost involve in switching it to the iMac.
     
  10. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

    fruitpunch.ben

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Location:
    Surrey, BC
    #10
    Whenever I get round to buying my riMac, I will be using my current 2009 as an external monitor via Target Display mode. Since that is impossible on the current iMac (Thunderbolt bandwidth issues) I am waiting until that is possible. If I'm paying $3000 for a retina screen, I want to be able to keep using it even once the computer inside it is too slow!
     
  11. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    #11
    Fruitpunch, I know you can't use the RiMac as an external monitor, but I know you can use another monitor as an external monitor if you have a RiMac. Maybe that's only using another monitor.
     
  12. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

    fruitpunch.ben

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Location:
    Surrey, BC
    #12
    Yeah I know. I worded my post quite badly. What I meant was, I'm waiting until I can buy a riMac that, in turn, will be able to be used as a display for whatever computer Apple comes out with in 7+ years. Apple has such great screens, and its a shame to waste them when the computer gets too slow. Target Display Mode means I don't have to, and I will buy an riMac when it has that feature
     

Share This Page