Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Honestly this is the first time they updated a handheld console without giving it a change of thought,

I mean do we really care about OLED?

From handhelds like Nintendo DS, to Nintendo 3DS XL, I hope they update this the next round even better

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Honestly this is the first time they updated a handheld console without giving it a change of thought,

From handhelds like Nintendo DS, to Nintendo 3DS XL, I hope they update this the next round even better

n3ds preceded n3dsxl which was a size difference

2dsxl was a slimmed down n3dsxl without 3d

gameboy advance went through two form factor changes from horizontal single body to clamshell, to tiny with the micro

it’s happened

but yeah this is the first time it’s pretty much same thing form factor wise just a different screen tech and larger

Reactions: trevpimp

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Bolded:

I actually care about OLED. Because it is a better picture quality as we all know. But to the average consumer, do they care about OLED? Absolutely not. Do they even care to know what the differences between LCD versus OLED? No. So I don’t think Nintendo really made some massive changes here, my guess is they switched (No Pun intended😁) to OLED, because it’s just as affordable/available as LCD is, with mass production through multiple suppliers. And on such a small display, I would think OLED would probably be more suitable in direct sunlight versus LCD.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Bolded:

I actually care about OLED. Because it is a better picture quality as we all know. But to the average consumer, do they care about OLED? Absolutely not. Do they even care to know what the differences between LCD versus OLED? No. So I don’t think Nintendo really made some massive changes here, my guess is they switched (No Pun intended?) to OLED, because it’s just as affordable/available as LCD is, with mass production through multiple suppliers. And on such a small display, I would think OLED would probably be more suitable in direct sunlight versus LCD.
If it’s laminated and no air gap, that and OLED will be a pretty substantial visual upgrade for portable users

no performance gains sure but

Reactions: Pezimak

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
As someone who barely ever used it as a handheld, definitely won't be getting this. I sold my switch at the end of 2020 because I was hoping a new console would be launched this year. Wanted to play BOTW 2 on a new console, but I guess that won't be happening.

Reactions: raqball

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If it’s laminated and no air gap, that and OLED will be a pretty substantial visual upgrade for portable users

no performance gains sure but
I’m wondering also, maybe due to extreme success of the original Switch was so popular and shortages were months before you can get your hands on one, that they didn’t need to make a lot of changes, so Nintendo’s theory is, why not continue to capitalize on profits and make minimal changes, keeping manufacturing costs down. That’s similar to how Apples M.O. is.

As for OLED, I’d say that should make a difference in sunlight.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
In general, if you already have a Switch, this probably isn't worth it. If you don't already have one, it can go either way. Ironically enough, my game group treated this akin to the Switch Lite... no interest because they play the vast majority of games in docked mode, of which this Switch doesn't improve upon (storage being bumped up can be alleviated with micro SD cards).

The screen update is welcomed, but overall, it’s a very incremental update. I was hoping for 4K output on TV, but still on 1080p. The storage bump is nice, tough 64 Go is still limited.
Word is, 4K would've been tough for a handheld. The battery requirements, and the heat in docked mode would still present obstacles.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
As someone who barely ever used it as a handheld, definitely won't be getting this. I sold my switch at the end of 2020 because I was hoping a new console would be launched this year. Wanted to play BOTW 2 on a new console, but I guess that won't be happening.
Same... Mine stays docked all the time and I was hoping for a Pro version with better specs. Guess I am stuck waiting a few years to see what they do... Bummer!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Other than the in-built display remaining 720p vs a bump to 1080p, this is exactly what I thought the external Swtich Pro would look like. I was really disappointed when the internals weren’t bumped.

The Switch is my favorite console to date and while I know it’s selling extremely well still, the performance gap is becoming more noticeable. I couldn’t play Zelda: Age of Calamity because of the terrible FPS. Plus, now with the PS5 and Xbox taking large leaps in performance, the gap for 3rd parties is even greater and I think third-party support will suffer outside of indie support. While I buy a Nintendo console for the first-party IP, I appreciate having most modern games even if at a bit of a lower quality on it.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Since I only have a Switch Lite, I decided to take the plunge to the OLED version. The better screen should be a nice upgrade over the Lite, and the docking capability will be nice to throw on my monitor.

Reactions: ackmondual

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
5j10bg.jpg

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
All it takes to be satisfied with Nintendo is them giving us what we need

I wasn't satisfied with the OLED improvement on reveal but now that I think about it Nintendo has me hooked

*Still might not upgrade*

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Word is, 4K would've been tough for a handheld. The battery requirements, and the heat in docked mode would still present obstacles.
The rumors indicated that the 4K processing would occur with hardware located in the dock, rather than the Switch, itself. So the Switch would still output at 720p (can't remember if the rumors indicated that it would bump to 1080p), but become a powerhouse in docked mode. A modular system like that would be interesting, but much more expensive. I guess we'll see what ends up happening.
The Switch is my favorite console to date and while I know it’s selling extremely well still, the performance gap is becoming more noticeable. I couldn’t play Zelda: Age of Calamity because of the terrible FPS. Plus, now with the PS5 and Xbox taking large leaps in performance, the gap for 3rd parties is even greater and I think third-party support will suffer outside of indie support. While I buy a Nintendo console for the first-party IP, I appreciate having most modern games even if at a bit of a lower quality on it.
The Switch is my first console since the Playstation 2. Gaming went on the back burner for me for a decade or so and I tried to rely on Steam (difficult on a Mac, but not impossible) and iOS gaming. Eventually figured it was fine to just start playing many of those third-party games on Switch, partly as the handheld mode made it easier for me to game than being locked down to a console or computer. But thanks to the Switch I've also discovered some times when I can play in docked mode, which has become my preferred manner. I'm now up for getting a Playstation 5, and I'm holding off on many of those third-party games until I have that. If I'm going to be spending about the same amount of money, why not go for faster load times and better graphical performance for a nicer experience?

The Switch still has its niche in the form of handheld gaming, and I think it's partly for that reason Nintendo does not view themselves as competing directly with Microsoft or Sony. I wish they'd try a bit harder and have a bit more urgency about it, though. The Switch performance was already a bit behind when it was first released, and it is only becoming more noticeable (and occasionally unbearable) as time goes on.

Reactions: Traverse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm now up for getting a Playstation 5, and I'm holding off on many of those third-party games until I have that. If I'm going to be spending about the same amount of money, why not go for faster load times and better graphical performance for a nicer experience?

I was actually able to pick up a PlayStation 5 earlier this year and I must admit that the graphical fidelity is awe-inspiring when you’re used to PS2 ports on the Switch.

Reactions: Ledgem

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The rumors indicated that the 4K processing would occur with hardware located in the dock, rather than the Switch, itself. So the Switch would still output at 720p (can't remember if the rumors indicated that it would bump to 1080p), but become a powerhouse in docked mode. A modular system like that would be interesting, but much more expensive. I guess we'll see what ends up happening.
Interesting idea. However, a 4K output when dock, would require a larger Switch and a larger dock in order to allow for adequate cooling. 4K gaming wouldn't just require upping the resolution but also texture, shadow and reflection detail.

Furthermore I'm unsure whether running at a lower clock speed in handheld mode would have a meaningful impact on suppressing heat generation and power consumption.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Interesting idea. However, a 4K output when dock, would require a larger Switch and a larger dock in order to allow for adequate cooling. 4K gaming wouldn't just require upping the resolution but also texture, shadow and reflection detail.

Furthermore I'm unsure whether running at a lower clock speed in handheld mode would have a meaningful impact on suppressing heat generation and power consumption.
If the major processing power is in the dock, I don't see why the Switch would need to be larger. The dock would need to be larger, I agree, but it's a dock. I'm sure there are some people who pack their docks up and travel with them, but most of us probably planted it somewhere, rooted it down with cables, and it doesn't move.

Granted, I'm not a hardware developer; I don't even know if this type of thing would be possible. I'm not even sure what connector protocols the Switch can do through that port at its bottom. The way people spoke about it, I'd think the Switch would serve as something of a portable storage or authenticator device for the 4K dock. But that's a bit wasteful, as you've basically doubled the hardware you need... Nintendo might as well just make a stand-alone dock system, at that point.

As to what 4K gaming would require, it depends on how you get to 4K. The rumors were that Nintendo would utilize Nvidia's "dynamic super resolution" (usually called by its acronym, DSR) to get to 4K. From what I understand, this is 4K upscaling, rather than true 4K, and it relies on 1080P base content. The Switch has that, and it would allow Nintendo to more easily get that 4K rating, allowing older games to reach 4K without needing major model updates, and also getting to 4K with less powerful hardware.

It all sounded plausible; I guess we'll see what Nintendo gets up to.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
As to what 4K gaming would require, it depends on how you get to 4K. The rumors were that Nintendo would utilize Nvidia's "dynamic super resolution" (usually called by its acronym, DSR) to get to 4K. From what I understand, this is 4K upscaling, rather than true 4K, and it relies on 1080P base content. The Switch has that, and it would allow Nintendo to more easily get that 4K rating, allowing older games to reach 4K without needing major model updates, and also getting to 4K with less powerful hardware.
DLSS and machine learning up scaling is new. In 1-2 years the technology should have matured enough to rollout to lower end hardware.

Intel, Apple and Nvidia will likely continue to develop new mobile chips with even greater energy efficiency than those that exist today. If affordable enough, Nintendo could put them into a Switch without bumping it into a price range that puts it in direct competition with the Series X and PS5.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Going to pick up the OLED and Metroid Dread. Looking forward to having a full size Switch again. The Lite was good, but I ended up missing the ability to dock more than i thought I would.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Going to pick up the OLED and Metroid Dread. Looking forward to having a full size Switch again. The Lite was good, but I ended up missing the ability to dock more than i thought I would.
Curious to hear your thoughts on the above combo. That’s what I would also purchase, with Metroid Dread being the primary title I want. Once I capture my second PS5 this week, the Switch is next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.